Convert an unhealthy snack into a savory-sweet, guilt-free treasure with these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries! These fries are simply addictive; crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and lack nothing in flavor thanks to a simple blend of three spices!
Because this recipe uses immensely less oil than its deep-fried cousin, you can turn to these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes any time you’re looking to cut back on fat and calories.
Pair them with just about any meal, alongside any protein! They’ll go just as perfectly with BBQ Pulled Pork Quesadillas as they would Bacon Wrapped Chicken! You can also serve them as an appetizer or on their lonesome as a healthy snack.
Looking for more air fryer goodness to try? Bookmark these Air Fryer Cheese Sticks for next time!
ABOUT AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES
The air fryer is an excellent tool for converting just about any fried food recipe into something light and far more healthy. Because of the perforated holes of the air fryer basket and the convection oven-type fans built into it, air fryers have the amazing ability to copycat the crispy textures you typically only find on fried foods!
And, while it’s true that the crunch of Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries might not mimic its deep-fried counterpart exactly, it does come ridiculously close.
INGREDIENTS FOR AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES
- Sweet Potatoes
- Oil | You can use avocado, canola, or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Spices | Kosher salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika (optional).
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO FRIES IN THE AIR FRYER
- Preheat – Preheat your air fryer to 400°F for about 10 minutes.
- Cut – Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4″ to 1/2″ strips (more info on this below, if needed).
- Season – Add the sweet potato strips to a large bowl and drizzle with the oil and seasoning. Toss until evenly coated.
- Cook – Add only a couple of handfuls of the fries to the basket and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Take care to shake the basket every few minutes or so! For crispy results, be sure to cook these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries in 2 to 3 separate batches.
HOW TO CUT SWEET POTATO FRIES
One important thing you’ll want to keep in mind is the size of your fries matter. Thicker fries will take longer to cook than thinner ones. This means that if your fry size is all over the place, some will finish cooking and possibly burn before some fries even reach the point of al dente!
The goal is for you to cut Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries that are about a 1/4″ to a 1/2″ in thickness.
The best way to cut sweet potato fries:
- Cut the sweet potato in half crosswise.
- Turn each half flat-side down, and cut in half once more. Now you should have four pieces.
- Lay each piece flat-side down and cut them into 1/4″ to 1/2″- thick pieces, longwise.
- Then, cut each piece into two to three 1/4″ to 1/2″ strips.
HOW LONG DO THEY TAKE TO COOK?
Again, depending on how thick your sweet potato fries end up will vastly affect your cook time. If your fries fall inside the 1/4″ to 1/2″-thick range, they should take about 8 to 10 minutes to cook through at 400°F.
It is wise to begin checking on them at the 8-minute mark, as Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes can go from crispy to burnt in less than 2 minutes! This is because of the high sugar content in sweet potatoes.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
Around these parts, we have a slight obsession with the air fryer and are continually adding new recipes to the list! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Pickle Chips
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Donuts
Bookmark those recipes in your browser so you don’t forget to come back for a taste!
HOW TO COOK FROZEN SWEET POTATO FRIES IN THE AIR FRYER
If you happen to have a bag of frozen sweet potato fries handy, look no further than the air fryer! This is the ultimate machine for maximizing crunch, especially when it comes to frozen, previously fried items.
Here’s how you make reheat in the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for about 10 minutes.
- Add only a couple of handfuls of frozen fries to the basket at a time (frying in batches as necessary), and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Take care to shake the basket every 5 minutes or so.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES!
- Preheat the Air Fryer | Taking the time to preheat your air fryer will ensure your cook time stays on track and your fries turn out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!
- Cut the Fries Evenly | I know. Again with this point?! I only emphasize because it actually matters. Make sure you cut your fries as close to the same size as possible (about a 1/4″ to a 1/2″-thick is the goal) so they will cook evenly in the designated amount of time!
- Don’t Overcrowd Those Fries | As tempting as it may be, don’t overfill the air fryer basket. It’s important that air has the ability to circulate all around each and every fry. If you stuff the basket so full that there’s literally no wiggle room, it would be impossible for your fries to get crispy!
- Shake the Basket | Don’t be scared to give that air fryer basket a little shake every few minutes. Moving things around every so often encourages even-browning and cooking on all sides of the fry!
- Eat Them Right Away | Unfortunately, the “crispy” shelf-life of Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries is not a long one. As they sit, they’ll release moisture and the exterior will soften. For best results, eat them as soon as they’re cool enough to handle!
5 MORE POTATO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
- Roasted Baby Dutch Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes With Skin
- Potato Patties
- Make-Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Lyonnaise Potatoes
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are easy to make and simply addictive thanks to a simple blend of three spices! Crispy on the outside and pillowy tender on the inside.
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 potatoes), peeled
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola, avocado, or vegetable oil)
- 1 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F for about 10 minutes.
Cut the potatoes in half cross-wise. Then, turn them cut side down and cut in half once more. Cut each portion of sweet potato into 1/4 to 1/2"-thick slices, longwise. Then cut each slice into 1/4 to 1/2" strips.
Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl along with the oil, salt, paprika, and pepper. Toss with your hand until the fries are evenly coated with oil and spices.
Add a couple of large handfuls of fries to the basket of the air fryer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the basket every few minutes. Repeat until all of the sweet potatoes are cooked, working in 2 to 3 batches.