If you’ve got ripening bananas, and the thought of banana bread is giving you a case of the humdrum’s, look no further than its enchantingly chocolate cousin, Banana Brownies! Soft, cakey, and fudgy, this breakfast bombshell is a banana bread-brownie hybrid that’s anything but boring!
These breakfast treats bake up thick and seriously moist, with a fair share of both banana and chocolate flavor shining through. Best of all, they’re crazy easy to make, and you’ll have this batter whipped up and into the oven in 15 minutes or less!
Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies are not only a great way to use up any over-ripe bananas, they’re make-ahead and freezer friendly, making them perfect for on-the-go breakfasts! Not to mention, there’s no doubt — these bad boys will cure even the most intense chocolate hankerings.
Love banana and chocolate together? Bookmark these easy Chocolate Banana Muffins for your next baking extravaganza!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA BROWNIES
- Prep – Melt the butter in the microwave and set it aside to cool. Mash the bananas in a small mixing bowl. Make sure your oven is preheating before you start mixing up the batter and, lastly, ready an 8×8″ greased baking dish.
- Mix Dry Ingredients – In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix Wet Ingredients – Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk. Then, add the mashed bananas, sugar, melted and cooled butter, as well as the vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Combine – Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix, and swap out your whisk for a sturdy wooden spoon. Stir and stop as soon as the batter comes together. Add the chocolate chips and stir until they are evenly distributed throughout the Banana Brownie batter.
- Bake – Transfer the batter to the baking dish and bake for about 26 minutes. Once the Banana Brownies are springy to the touch and have cooked through, place them on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Then, cut into 12 squares and serve!
- Mashed Bananas
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder (not to be confused with baking soda)
- Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled)
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips
EXTRAS YOU CAN ADD!
There are a number of different things you can add to Chocolate Banana Brownies to make them all the more irresistible! Add in a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts for a little extra crunch. Love peanut butter? Sub in peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips and even butterscotch chips would be a tasty new addition!
And, clearly, no one would be mad if you wanted to make them extra dessert-like and throw a healthy schmear of creamy peanut butter frosting across the top.
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE BANANA BROWNIES
You can store Chocolate Banana Brownies at room temperature in an airtight container and they will stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
To freeze them, cut the brownies into bars or squares as desired, and place them in a snug, freezer-safe, airtight container, separated by sheets of wax paper for up to 3 months.
You could also freeze them in a freezer-safe, zip-top, gallon-sized bag. However, these Banana Brownies are so decadently moist that you might run the risk of them freezing together. To prevent this, wrap each brownie in a small piece of wax paper, and then add each wrapped brownie to the bag and freeze.
5 MORE BANANA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- Banana Bread with Sour Cream
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Banana Brownies with chocolate chips boast a fair share of both banana and chocolate flavor. They bake up thick, soft, cakey, and fudgy!
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (from about 2 large bananas)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350° and have ready a greased, 8"x8" square baking dish.
Melt the butter in a microwave-safe pitcher or bowl, and set aside to cool.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk and set aside.
Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk well. Then, add the mashed bananas, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla to the bowl and whisk until well-combined. Make sure the eggs are broken up and evenly distributed throughout the batter.
Add the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mix once more.
Add the batter to the baking dish, spread to the edges, and smooth over the top. Bake for 26-28 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Cut, serve, and enjoy!