Tomatillos add a zingy vibrancy to chicken in this beautifully piquant braised dish.
Serve with a side of warmed corn tortillas and sliced avocados, or go the extra mile and serve over black beans and rice for a perfectly balanced and easy dinner.
- 1 lb 15ish Tomatillos, hulled, rinsed, stems removed & halved
- 4 lg Jalapenos stems and seeds removed, quartered
- White Onion quarted and cut into chunks
- 4 lg Garlic Cloves paper on
- 5 tbsp Canola Oil separated (2 veggies, 2 pot, 1 chicken)
- 2 ½ tsp Kosher Salt separated
- 1 ½ tsp Black Pepper separated
- 4 Chicken Thighs bone in & skin on
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Cumin separated
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Onion Powder
- 2½ c Chicken Stock
- ¼ c Cilantro minced
- Avocado thinly sliced
- Lime quartered
Preheat oven to 400° Place vegetables on heavy duty rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp canola oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp kosher salt and ½ tsp black pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Once cooled, removed the garlic’s papery skin. Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Drizzle a tbsp canola oil over chicken and season with 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp garlic powder and a pinch of onion powder. Rub in seasoning to evenly coat front and back side of thighs. Place Dutch oven over medium high heat and add 2 tbsp canola oil. Once oil is hot, sear chicken, skin side down, for 5 minutes until golden brown, then turn over and let sear for another 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Discard any remaining oil.
Add roasted vegetables to the Dutch oven along with chicken stock. Pulse with an immersion blender until the mixture resembles a chunky sauce.* Stir in 1 tbsp of cumin and bring sauce to a boil. Turn heat down to medium low, add chicken thighs, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, until completely cooked through.
* Alternatively, transfer roasted vegetables to a blender or food processor and pulse several times. Then transfer to Dutch oven, add chicken stock and stir to combine.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve chicken over black beans and rice and spoon tomatillo sauce over chicken. Garnish with cilantro, lime and avocado slices.
Makes 4 Servings
Would pair well with:
A crisp white wine, such as Pinot Grigio