When it comes to making the perfect Coconut Mojito, we are taking the easy way out, without sacrificing a bit of flavor! It's the perfect combination of bubbly, refreshing, creamy, and minty. Everything a mojito should be, and more!
Looking for more awesome cocktail recipes to try? Bookmark our Coconut Margarita in your internet browser for next time!
Traditional mojito recipes call for muddlers, lime wedges, elbow grease, and cocktail shakers. Not this one.
Instead, we will let the ice do all the muddling for us. And, if you don't have a shaker, no worries. Budget-friendly and cute as a button, mason jars are the perfect mojito vessel, and they'll do the trick just fine!
We'll talk more about that below, but let's conquer that ingredient list for now.
COCONUT MOJITO INGREDIENTS
- Mint Leaves | Fresh Mint is an essential ingredient in a mojito. It's sweet, cooling, and highly refreshing. It's why summertime and mojitos go hand in hand!
- Coconut Rum | Coconut rum is rum mixed with an ingredient called "essence of coconut" (i.e. liquid extracted from coconut) and sugar. Note that coconut rum is sweeter than your standard light rum, so it's best to opt for white rum if you prefer your cocktails on the dryer side.
- Lime Juice | Fresh lime juice is brighter and more intense than anything you could pour out of a bottle. Be sure you only use fresh limes for this Coconut Mojito recipe!
- Cream of Coconut | Cream of Coconut is coconut cream that has been sweetened and processed into a thick syrup similar to sweetened condensed milk in consistency. Classic mojito recipes call for simple syrup, but you won't need it with this creamy coconut syrup in hand. This ingredient is perfect for adding both sweetness and coconut flavor to cocktails. Be sure not to confuse it with coconut milk.
- Club Soda | This highly carbonated water adds fizz and lightness to mojitos. The minerals added to club soda give it a slightly salty taste, providing the perfect balance to sweet ingredients in this cocktail, like Cream of Coconut and coconut rum. However, you could sub in sparkling water or seltzer in its place if you'd like.
Love a twist on this classic cocktail? Don't miss our Pineapple Mojito!
HOW TO MAKE A COCONUT MOJITO
You can use either a cocktail shaker or a mason jar equipped with a lid to make Coconut Mojitos.
MASON JAR MOJITO
I find a mason jar much more efficient and easy to use, especially if you are entertaining and making mojitos for two or more people. You can make multiple mojitos at once using the mason jar method, whereas, with a shaker, you're maxing out at two!
Another mention-worthy benefit of the mason jar -- there's no straining, and you serve directly out of the same vessel you made it in. That means fewer dishes for the host -- yes, please.
MASON JAR INSTRUCTIONS
To make Coconut Mojitos in a mason jar, fill the jar halfway with ice, add the mint, rum, lime juice, and Cream of Coconut, and seal the jar shut. Shake the jar vigorously for about 30 seconds, remove the lid, add more ice, and top with club soda. Stir, garnish with a sprig of mint, and enjoy!
As you can tell, we are all for minimum effort and maximum results. Our White Wine Sangria can be made by the pitcher and is so flavorful!
MAKING MOJITOS WITH A SHAKER
The only downside to using a mason jar to make Coconut Mojitos is the mint never gets strained out. Some may find this irritating, as the mint leaves can get soggy and have the potential of getting sucked up through a straw. So, the point of the story is, if you're picky about the mint, use the shaker instead.
Fill a shaker halfway with ice, and add mint, rum, lime juice, and cream of coconut. Seal the shaker and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
Have ready a tall glass filled with ice. Strain the contents of the shaker over the ice and fill it to the top with club soda. Give your drink a little stir, and garnish with mint and lime wedge. Serve and enjoy.
6 MORE COCKTAIL RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Best Margarita Recipe
- Skinny Margarita
- Gin Spritzer
- Strawberry Margarita
- Strawberry Basil Cocktail
- Watermelon Martini
Coconut Mojitos are refreshing and bubbly, but also sweet and creamy! The perfect combination, and ready in just a few minutes.
- ⅓ cup mint leaves, plus extra for garnish, if desired
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces cream of coconut
- 1-2 ounces club soda or sparkling water
Add the mint leaves, rum, lime juice, and cream of coconut to a shaker filled at least halfway with ice. You could also use a mason jar equipped with a lid.
Seal the container and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
If using a shaker, strain into a 12 to 16-ounce glass filled with ice. Pour soda water over the top to fill and stir. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired, serve, and enjoy!