Want to make your favorite Chick-fil-a shake at home? All you need is Oreos, ice cream, milk, and about 5 minutes! This Cookies and Cream Milkshake is the perfect way to whip up a special moment for the family in your very own kitchen!
No kid (or grown-up) can resist the combination of creamy vanilla ice cream loaded with speckles of crushed Oreo cookies in delectable, sippable form!
HOW TO MAKE A COOKIES AND CREAM MILKSHAKE
Making a homemade Chick-fil-a shake Oreo Shake is much easier than you think!
- Combine ice cream and milk in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the Oreos and blend just until they look small enough to fit through your straw!
- Serve and enjoy!
Yup. That's it! It's really that easy. Feel free to top your milkshake with a great big swirl of whipped cream and a cherry to make it extra special!
THE PERFECT MILKSHAKE CONSISTENCY
The classic milkshake ratio is:
- 4 scoops of ice cream
- ¼ cup of milk
Surprisingly, your favorite milkshake consistency is less dependent upon the ingredient ratio than one might think. We found that the real kicker when it comes to consistency is actually the temperature of the ice cream.
FOR A THICK MILKSHAKE:
If you like a Cookies and Cream Milkshake so thick, you need a spoon to kick things off, you'll want to be sure to get the ice cream directly from the freezer and into the blender as fast as possible. As the ice cream melts, its consistency becomes thinner. So, for a thicker consistency, your ice cream needs to be pretty firm, to begin with.
However, you should know the harder the ice cream is, the more difficult it might be to blend. If you don't have a powerful blender, start blending at low speed and work your way up to a higher speed.
FOR A THINNER MILKSHAKE:
On the other hand, if you like your Cookies and Cream Milkshake easy to sip on from the get-go, just let the ice cream sit out on the counter for about 10 minutes or so before scooping.
If you like it really thin, you could even add in an extra splash of milk and blend again. However, don't add too much milk or it will detract from the flavor and richness of your ice cream!
COOKIES AND CREAM MILKSHAKE INGREDIENTS
- Oreos | This recipe calls for four Oreos per milkshake, but if you want your shake to be more cookies than cream, feel free to add up to six.
- Ice cream | Our favorite ice cream for this recipe is Blue Bells Homemade Vanilla, but any good-quality, vanilla ice cream will work! Note, full-fat ice cream works best for milkshakes.
- Milk | Whole milk is preferable for an extra creamy, satisfying milkshake but you can use whatever you have on hand. If you wanted your Cookies and Cream Shake to be extra, extra rich you could use half-and-half or heavy cream in the place of milk.
WANT TO MIX UP THE FLAVORS?
Chocolate | More of a chocolate person? No problem. Add chocolate syrup or swap out that vanilla for your favorite chocolate ice cream and you're good to go. In fact, there are lots of ways to customize this Chick-fil-a classic!
Cookies and Cream | Want to go Cookies and Cream crazy? Cookies and cream ice cream will work for the base of this shake too! However, I still recommend adding in some fresh Oreos for that nice, little crunchy texture bonus!
You could also swap out the Oreos for another one of your favorite cookies or even candy.
Here are a few more fun options you might want to try:
- Banana ice cream + Nilla Wafers
- Strawberry ice cream + shortbread cookies
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream + Mint Oreos
- Vanilla ice cream + Butterfinger candy, Heath Bar, or Snickers
- Chocolate ice cream + Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M&M's, or Heath Bar
The ice cream to milk ratio will stay the same across the board regardless of your combo. As far as the add-in's go, you'll want to add about a ½ cup's-worth.
HOW TO SERVE AND GARNISH A COOKIES AND CREAM MILKSHAKE
Once your Cookies and Cream Milkshake is all mixed up, it's time to pour it into a thick, frosty glass; one large enough to house a 16-ounce shake. Cold, thick glasses will keep it frostier and thicker, longer!
Know your toppings well in advance, blended milkshakes melt quickly, so have everything ready to go!
If you're wanting to mimic Chick-fil-a's Cookies and Cream Shake, top it off with a great, big swirl of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
Want your shakes to look a little extra? Garnish them with some crushed Oreos or even a few of the minis (typically found in the snack bag-sizes)! A drizzle of chocolate syrup or sprinkles couldn't hurt either.
All that's left is to grab yourself a straw, or a spoon, and dig in!
5 MORE CHILLY DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Butterfinger Poke Cake
- Banana Pudding Trifle
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate Pie with Oreo Crust
- No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
All you need to make the iconic Chick-fil-a Cookies and Cream Milkshake is Oreos, ice cream, milk, and about 5 minutes. The perfect way to whip up a special moment at home!
- 4 big scoops vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 Oreos
- Whipped cream and cherry for garnish (if desired)
Add the ice cream and milk to the blender and blend until smooth. Then, add the Oreos and blend until crushed to your liking.
Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and a cherry, if desired.