Creamy and satisfying Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings come fully loaded with slow-cooked, tender bites of chicken, a rich and flavorful broth, hearty vegetables, and great big, fluffy dumplings. Brace yourselves — you’re about to experience a heart-warming spoonful of pure American comfort.
This is an easy slow-cooker recipe even the pickiest of eaters will love. But, best of all, the prep could not be more minimal. Throw the chicken and chopped veggies in the crockpot raw, and let technology do all the cooking for you. If you like cooking the old-fashioned way, try these stovetop Chicken and Dumplings!
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS WITH BISCUITS VS. DROP DUMPLINGS
To make the dumplings for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings, steer clear of canned biscuits and biscuit box mixes. Drop dumplings are seriously easy to make from scratch, way tastier, and the ingredient list is about as simple as they come.
Drop dumplings and biscuit dough have a lot in common, with the exception of a fat (i.e. oil or butter). The flavor is very similar, but the texture of a drop dumpling vs. a biscuit is lighter, fluffier, and way better for Chicken and Dumplings.
When it comes time to make your dumpling dough, simply whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, you’ll stir in the milk and transfer the dough to a work surface. Knead the dough a few times, tear it into pieces, roll the dumplings into balls, and drop them in the crockpot. The entire process takes 15 minutes. No fancy ingredients, no rolling pins, and zero cutting required. If the dumpling process still seems too daunting for you, here’s a look at a recipe for Chicken and Dumplings with Biscuits.
CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND DUMPLING INGREDIENTS
- Chicken Breasts
- Vegetables (Carrots, Celery, and Onion)
- Unsalted Chicken Broth
- Dumpling Dry Mix (All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt)
- Whole or 2% Milk
- Heavy Whipping Cream (optional)
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- Add Chicken, Vegetables, and Broth – Add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and chicken broth to the crockpot and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on the low heat setting.
- Shred the Chicken – Remove the chicken, shred it, and return it to the crockpot.
- Make the Dumplings – To make the dumplings for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings, you’ll begin with flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk these ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Then, add the milk and stir until the dough has come together. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and dust the top with flour.
- Knead the Dough – This is an important step to ensure your dumplings don’t fall apart in the crockpot. Press the dough down and stretch it away from you with the heel of your hand. Then, fold the dough over in half toward you. Turn the dough clockwise by a quarter turn and repeat. Repeat this process 5-6 times.
- Roll Dumplings – Tear generous tablespoon-sized chunks away from the dough, roll into a ball, and drop them into the crockpot.
- Cook Dumplings – Cover and cook 1 hour on high, undisturbed. Add the cream, gently stir the mixture, cover, and cook 15 minutes more. Serve your Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings as soon as the dumplings have met the 1 hour and 15-minute mark in the slow-cooker. If they cook too long, they will begin to separate.
5 MORE CROCKPOT DINNERS YOU’LL LOVE
- Slow-Cooker Spare Ribs are as close to ribs hot off the pit as you’ll get, and although cooked indoors and in a crockpot, they yield the perfect bite with a burst of big BBQ flavor!
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos come together easily with less than 10 minutes of prep and feature Mexican shredded chicken mixed with fresh ingredients and a simple blend of spices.
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork always yields perfectly tender shredded pork coated with an easy, flavorful BBQ sauce!
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef Po’ Boys piled high on crusty French bread slathered with mayonnaise and loaded with a generous helping of steamy, succulent roast beef drenched in its own gravy make for one stellar comfort food dinner!
- Crockpot Beans are practically effortless, require no soaking, and take only 10 minutes to prep! Serve with Homemade Cornbread for the ultimate comfort food dinner!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings comes together quickly and easily in the crockpot! It's a hearty soup loaded with chicken, drop dumplings, carrots, and celery.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- yellow onion diced
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, and all of the black pepper to the crockpot. Pour the chicken broth over the mixture, cover, and cook on high for 2-3 hours (or 5-6 hours on low).
Remove the chicken, shred it, and return to the crockpot.
To make the dumplings, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and a 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Add the milk and stir until the dough comes together. Transfer to a floured work surface and dust the top with flour. Knead the dough 5-6 times (see notes).
Tear generous tablespoon-sized chunks away from the dough and roll into a ball. Drop into the crockpot and repeat until all of the dough has been used.
Cover and cook 1 hour on high, undisturbed. Add the cream, gently stir the mixture, cover, and cook about 15 minutes more.
How to Knead Dough: Press the dough down and stretch it away from you with the heel of your hand. Then, fold the dough over in half toward you. Turn the dough clockwise by a quarter turn and repeat. Do this 5-6 times for your dumpling dough.