The best, authentic guacamole recipe featuring only avocados, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. A no-fuss dip, perfect for parites, cookouts and healthy snacking. Plus, tips for picking out the perfect avocado!
I like my guacamole like I like my men — simple. Not like, simple-minded, just ya know, like…simple. A no-frills or fuss, no drama, straight-forward kind of simple. And, I’ll tell ya, that’s exactly what I married into.
There’s just no reason to go around chopping and mincing all kinds of additional ingredients when the avocado is perfectly capable of standing up on its own, and I like I said before, simple and straightforward is the way to go when it comes to an authentic guacamole recipe.
Avocado, lime, cilantro, and a tidbit of Kosher salt is all you need. Throw it all in a bowl, grab yourself a sturdy fork or a potato masher (if you wanted to be super authentic, heck you could even go ahead and pull out the molcajete) and start mashing out some aggressions.
Tips for Working with Avocados
HOW TO PICK AN AVOCADO
Avoid vibrant green, hard avocados. Look for blackened avocados, but avoid those with a white powdery coating. Applying only a small amount of pressure, run your fingers over the skin of the avocado. The avocado should feel full, and without crevices, or mushy points. This is an indication of an overly ripe avocado. A perfectly ripened avocado should give slightly to a firm touch.
HOW TO EASILY CUT AN AVOCADO
Lay the avocado on its side. Using a sharp chefs knife, carefully cut from the stem in toward the pit. Once your knife comes into contact with the pit, begin turning the avocado in a clockwise motion, leaving the knife in place. Once you have made a 360° cut, twist the avocado halves slightly and open. Remove the pit and discard.
5 MORE MEXICAN DIP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa is a 5-minute dip that comes together crazy easy in a blender! A few ingredients and a few minutes are all you need for this stellar Tex-Mex dip.
- Tamale Sauce is a quick-fix, cheesy sauce that reigns supreme with its Tex-Mex flare and kick of spice! It’s the perfect consistency for dipping or drizzling over tamales, but can also be used for enchiladas, burritos, chimichangas and more!
- Rotel Dip feeds a crowd and wins them over all at the same time! Featuring melty Velveeta cheese and taco-seasoned ground beef.
- Refried Bean Dip requires only a few simple ingredients, comes together quickly in just 10 minutes or less, and feeds a crowd. So get your chips ready, folks, because this dip bakes up hot and cheesy, and it’s absolutely perfect for dipping.
- Mexican Layer Dip comes together quickly and features layer-upon-layer of savory goodness like bean dip, guacamole, and more.
The simple guacamole recipe featuring only avocados, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- 3 large ripe Hass avocados, halved and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of lime juice about 1 1/2 limes
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Scoop the fresh out of the avocado and combine with the remaining ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or a sturdy fork, mash together until guacamole reaches desired consistency. Serve alongside tortilla chips and enjoy.