We all look forward to the fall. The sweater weather, the comfort food, and most importantly, the pumpkin spice. Loads and loads of pumpkin spice. Yes. The wait for Pumpkin Spice is over and there's officially no better way to inhale it than via this Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe!
They bake up nice and fluffy, with a moist and tender crumb on the inside, and a buttery cinnamon-sugar topping on the outside. These muffins are absolute fall perfection!
EASY PUMPKIN MUFFINS FROM SCRATCH
Pumpkin puree, a little molasses, a pour of buttermilk, and a whole lot of pumpkin spice -- that's how you take a Pumpkin Muffin Recipe from good...to great. Well, that and a buttery cinnamon streusel topping...
STREUSEL TOPPING OPTION
The topping adds texture to an otherwise soft and tender treat, and while streusels might sound complicated, they're about as easy as it gets and it couldn't be more delicious on top of your Easy Pumpkin Muffins. It's a mixture of sugar, flour, and butter mashed together to create a crumbly topping perfect for muffins. This particular streusel comes equipped with a nice hint of cinnamon. Yes, please.
While streusel toppings require very little effort, feel free to keep this muffin in its simplest form, and skip the streusel altogether if you'd like.
PUMPKIN MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
Flour, Baking Powder, Salt - These ingredients in addition to the spice mix are your dry ingredients. Be sure to use only all-purpose flour and not to confuse baking powder with baking soda.
Pumpkin Spice - Clearly, Pumpkin Muffins are all about the pumpkin spice. And, it just so happens this pumpkin spice mix is super simple. The only spices you need to get big fall flavor in every single bite are cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. That's it.
Pumpkin Puree - If you really want to go all out, you could roast your very own pumpkin. However, when it comes to pumpkin, we're taking the easy way out and going for the can. These Easy Pumpkin Muffins were tested both ways: With a homemade pumpkin puree and with a canned pumpkin puree. Can you guess which one tasted better? Neither. They were exactly the same, except one took approximately 1 ½ hours less time to make. Can you guess which one? Canned pumpkin it is.
Buttermilk - Buttermilk is another important ingredient in our Pumpkin Muffins Recipe, and greatly contributes to their perfectly tender crumb.
Sugar and Molasses - For sweeteners, you'll need both light brown sugar, and molasses on hand. You'll find the molasses makes a huge difference when it comes to depth of flavor in these Pumpkin Muffins.
Unsalted Butter and Eggs - Melted butter keeps the muffins nice and moist. Eggs help to both bind the ingredients and give the muffins some volume.
For another fall-inspired dessert, try our Pumpkin Cake!
HOW TO MAKE EASY PUMPKIN MUFFINS
- Prep the Pan - Preheat the oven to 350° and have ready two standard sized muffin tins, greased and lined with muffin cups.
- Make the Streusel - For the streusel, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, work the butter into the mixture until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix Dry Ingredients - In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
- Mix Wet Ingredients - Add the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add Dry Ingredients To Wet Ingredients - Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a sturdy wooden spoon until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix once more.
- Bake - Fill the muffin tins two-thirds of the way to the top, add a generous pinch of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake 28-30 minutes, and enjoy your Easy Pumpkin Muffins!
4 MORE MUFFIN RECIPES TO TRY
- Perfect Homemade Blueberry Muffins are a classic breakfast treat, loaded with blueberries and tons of helpful tips for your baking success!
- Chocolate Chunk Muffins are moist, fluffy, and loaded with chocolate chips and just a hint of cinnamon. Perfect for fall baking and nibbling alongside a hot cup of coffee or cocoa.
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins are not only super easy to make, but they also bake up perfectly golden on the outside and stay moist and tender on the inside. Perfect for hectic mornings when you need breakfast on the go!
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins are fully loaded with big banana flavor, old-fashioned oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts! The perfect balance between wholesome and delicious!
Easy pumpkin muffins that bake up nice and fluffy, with a moist and tender crumb on the inside, and a buttery cinnamon-sugar topping on the outside!
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1 ½ tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Cold Unsalted Butter cut into ¼” cubes
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 (15 ounce) can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- ⅔ cup (equal to 10 tbsp) melted butter
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of Molasses
Preheat oven to 350° and have ready two standard sized muffin tins, greased or lined with muffin cups.
For the streusel, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, work the butter into the mixture until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
Add the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the dry ingredients and mix with a sturdy wooden spoon until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl and mix once more.
Fill the muffin tins two-thirds of the way to the top, add a generous pinch of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake 28-30 minutes.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES TO TRY
- If you want to serve up the perfect Pumpkin Pie this Thanksgiving, you're going to need this recipe! Along with a perfect Pumpkin Pie, you'll also get tips to help you avoid a gritty custard, and all kinds of helpful pumpkin pie baking explanations!
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies? Ummm -- yes, please! These lovely little cookies are loaded with pumpkin and topped off with that signature cinnamon-sugar topping we all know and love. They're super easy to make and perfect for the fall!
- Desserts don't get more "fall" than this Pumpkin Maple Gingerbread Cake! It's made with real maple syrup, super moist, and topped off with a fancy-schmancy Earl Grey whipped frosting. Perfect for potluck parties and brunches!
- If you're entertaining for a crowd this fall, this Easy Apple Pumpkin Butter Cookie Platter is a must! It features a quick and easy Pumpkin Butter Recipe paired with all kinds of fun store-bought cookie ideas, white chocolate, and more!