Stovetop Taco Soup is a quick, family-friendly dinner perfect for chilly nights. This is an Easy Taco Soup Recipe you can put on the table in less than 30 minutes, with maximum flavor and minimal prep.
This 30-minute meal is perfect for busy weeknights, but comforting enough for Sunday supper. It’s a veggie-packed soup made hearty with taco-seasoned ground beef and canned kidney beans.
WHAT’S IN TACO SOUP?
- Taco-Seasoned Ground Beef
- Can of Kidney Beans
- Diced Onion
- Diced Jalapeños
- Can of Corn
- Canned of Diced Tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Lime Juice
This taco soup is beefed up and made super hearty with an extra serving of flavorful ground beef and canned kidney beans. Not only do the kidney beans make this Easy Taco Soup an extra hearty meal, they also add a nice creamy texture to the soup.
For a little freshness and added texture, fresh onions and jalapeños go a long, long way. Then, it’s on to a couple more canned additions — the sweet corn and diced tomatoes.
If you can find fire-roasted tomatoes, you’re in for a real treat. Fire-roasted tomatoes build big flavor in very little time, and you can usually find them in any major grocery chain, alongside the other canned tomato products.
The whole chi-bang is covered by low-sodium vegetable broth. Vegetable broth adds a nice balance to this beefy soup, but you can easily sub in chicken broth if you’d like.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SOUP ON THE STOVE
- Season and brown the ground beef on the stovetop.
- Remove beef from the pot and add onion and jalapeño. Sauté until softened.
- Add the beef back into the pot with the remaining ingredients, stir and simmer 15 minutes.
1. BROWN THE MEAT
This version of taco soup is loaded with a generous serving of seasoned ground beef in every bowl. The beef is seasoned with store-bought taco seasoning, browned, and then removed from the pot with a slotted spoon. At this point, check the pan to see if there is a hefty amount of grease and spoon out any excess. You’ll only need a thin layer left behind to cook the onions and jalapeños.
2. SAUTE FRESH VEGETABLES FOR MAXIMUM FLAVOR
Fresh jalapeños, corn, and onions go in and are sautéed until just softened.
3. ADD THE REST AND STIR!
All that’s left is to add the remaining ingredients, stir and allow the soup to simmer briefly so the flavors have time to marry. Then, for the final touch, a splash of fresh lime juice, and it’s time for the toppings!
TOPPINGS FOR TACO SOUP
Everybody loves taco toppings, and the same goes for topping this Easy Taco Soup! Each family member can make this soup their very own creation by adding their favorite taco soup toppings to the mix. Here is a complete list of goodies your crew will love topping their soup with:
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Black Olives
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced Avocados or Guacamole
- Fresh or Pickled Sliced Jalapeños
The end result is a fun and Easy Taco Soup Recipe that both the grown-ups and the kids will enjoy. A weeknight meal you can count on to provide your family with smiling faces, empty bowls, and happy bellies. Enjoy!
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO TRY!
- Creamy Chicken and Dumplings is a Southern classic made easy. A flavorful soup featuring shredded chicken, vegetables, and easy, plump drop dumplings.
- Texas Chili makes for a comforting family meal, loaded with beef and the perfect blend of chili spices.
- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is made with freshly grated Cheddar and perfectly steamed broccoli. It’s over-the-top cheesy and creamy, and a total fan-favorite for the kiddos!
- Hearty Beef Stew is heavy-hitting comfort loaded with perfectly tender bites of beef, carrots, potatoes, and more.
- Creamy Tomato Soup features fire roasted tomatoes, fresh thyme, and a basil garnish all made into a rich and creamy blend!
The best ever stovetop taco soup recipe featuring taco-seasoned ground beef, kidney beans, fire roasted tomatoes, corn and more.
- 1 1/2 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package Taco Seasoning
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 jalapeños stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Juice of half a lime
- Freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped black olives
- Minced cilantro
Add ground beef and taco seasoning to a Dutch oven, or large pot, over medium-high heat. Break apart the ground beef and continue cooking until all of the pink is gone, about 6-8 minutes.
Turn off the heat and, carefully, remove the beef using a slotted spoon, and set aside in a bowl. Spoon out all but a thin layer of grease. Return to medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeños and sauté 4-6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
Add the corn, tomatoes and kidney beans, along with the cooked ground beef, to the Dutch oven and stir. Add vegetable broth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir once more and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Finish by adding the lime juice, stir and serve with favorite toppings.
11 MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Baked Potato Soup
Habanero Spicy Chicken Soup with Black Beans
Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Soup Beans & Ham
Southwest Chicken Quinoa Soup
Creamy Potato & Ham Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Soup
Bacon White Chicken Chili
Copycat Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Creamy Roasted Root Vegetable Soup