One-pan Ground Beef Stroganoff made with budget-friendly ingredients comes together in just 20 minutes! Serve this rich and creamy Stroganoff made with ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and sour cream over egg noodles for a beefy, comforting weeknight dinner that's as easy as it is delicious!
While you may think of Beef Stroganoff as classic American comfort food, you may want to think again. Beef Stroganoff dates back to the 1800s and it's really no wonder a dish that warms the soul in such a big way got its start in ice-cold Russia. It actually wasn't until the 1950s and 60s that Stroganoff soared into American popularity.
In true American fashion, we took this über comforting classic and made it quick, easy and extremely convenient to make. And this is precisely where Ground Beef Stroganoff comes in.
WHAT IS STROGANOFF SAUCE MADE OF?
Stroganoff sauce is a rich, creamy sauce with a little tang to it thanks to sour cream. In fact, it is a sour cream-based sauce, most often made with mushrooms and onions, as well. Although Stroganoff Sauce does contain quite a bit of sour cream, it does not necessarily taste like sour cream. Even those who wouldn't dare enjoy a dollop of Daisy would likely still enjoy a bowl of Stroganoff.
The sauce can be made with beef, chicken, or pork. Or in this case, quick and easy ground beef!
GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF INGREDIENTS
- Ground Beef - Ground Beef Stroganoff begins with (you guessed it) ground beef. 80/20 ground beef works perfectly for this recipe. The onion and mushrooms will cook in the fat left behind in the pan, giving this savory Stroganoff and extra beefy kick.
- Onion - This recipe calls for yellow onion, but if you already have a white or red onion on hand, feel free to sub that in.
- Mushrooms - We prefer to buy our button mushrooms already cleaned and sliced for convenience-sake.
- Sour Cream - For a rich and creamy Ground Beef Stroganoff, don't sub in low-fat sour cream.
- Seasoning - Sour cream and dill go hand-in-hand, and you'll stand amazed at the added flavor a little dried dill adds to Stroganoff! However, if you'd prefer, you can leave it out entirely or use parsley in its place. The Kosher salt and black pepper, however, are non-negotiable.
- Noodles - Egg noodles are perfect for serving under a ladle-full of Ground Beef Stroganoff, but you can certainly use other starches to soak up all that savory goodness! Feel free to serve it on top of creamy mashed potatoes, white rice, or your favorite pasta.
HOW TO MAKE GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF
- Cook the Noodles - Before you get started on your sauce, make sure you have a salty pot of water boiling. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, and be sure to reserve ½ cup of the pasta water before straining!
- Brown the Ground Beef - While your pasta is cooking, go ahead and get started on your Ground Beef Stroganoff Sauce. Brown and season the ground beef. Then, remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon. Take care not to leave any grease drippings on the sides of the pan.
- Make the Sauce - Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook through. Then, remove the pan from the heat entirely, and stir in the sour cream and the remaining seasoning. Add the ground beef back to the mix, as well as the reserved pasta water.
- Serve - Ladle the sauce over the cooked egg noodles and enjoy!
HOW TO PREVENT STROGANOFF FROM CURDLING?
To prevent Stroganoff Sauce from curdling, add the sour cream off of the heat and do not allow the sauce to overheat after it goes in.
WHAT GOES WITH HAMBURGER STROGANOFF?
As mentioned above, you can serve Ground Beef Stroganoff over egg noodles (or just about any pasta variety), mashed potatoes, or rice. Serve it alongside green beans, steamed broccoli, or baked veggies for a well-rounded meal.
5 MORE GROUND BEEF DINNERS YOU’LL LOVE
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole is the easiest way to serve spaghetti to the table! Featuring spaghetti noodles coated in parmesan and butter, an easy marinara meat sauce, savory cottage cheese, and a topping of stretchy mozzarella!
- Beef Empanadas filled with juicy, taco-seasoned ground beef and melty Cheddar cheese come perfectly packaged in a golden exterior of buttery, flaky pie crust.
- Stovetop Taco Soup is a quick, family-friendly dinner you can put on the table in less than 30 minutes, with maximum flavor and minimal prep!
- Easy Baked Meatballs are perfect for a kid-friendly dinner! They're made easy with ground beef and fresh breadcrumbs.
- Tex-Mex Beef Enchiladas are made with an authentic enchilada gravy, a flavorful ground beef filling, and melty cheese!
A one-pan Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe featuring budget-friendly ingredients like ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and sour cream.
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra wide egg noodles
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, separated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Be sure to reserve ½ cup of the pasta water before straining.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and bring to temperature. Add the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon and season with 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Sauté, stirring often, until the meat is completely browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat, and transfer the beef to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside. Be sure to wipe the sides of the pan clean of any grease drippings before returning to the heat.
Resume cooking over medium-high heat and the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and mushrooms and sauté for 6 minutes, or until the mushrooms have cooked through.
Remove the pan from the heat once more and stir in the sour cream, dried dill, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add the ground beef back to the mixture, along with the reserved pasta water and stir once more.
Serve the stroganoff over the cooked egg noodles and enjoy!