If you thought swapping out ground beef for turkey was going to be a healthy “sacrifice” come taco night…think again. You can easily cut the calories without cutting out any of the flavor. Let it be known — there’s nothing second rate about these Ground Turkey Tacos!
Ground turkey gets a hefty dose of savory thanks to a tasty mix of Mexican spices, plus two simple tips for keeping your turkey juicy and moist!
Taco seasoned ground turkey makes for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, and can be used for more than just tacos! Use this versatile recipe as the topping for a taco salad or nachos, or as a filling for burritos, quesadillas, and more!
2 SIMPLE WAYS TO MAKE YOUR TURKEY TACOS BETTER
You don’t need to add anything to ground turkey to make it moist, you just need to buy the right kind and cook it correctly. If you buy ground turkey with little-to-no fat content, it will likely be dry by the time it finishes its stint in the skillet. The best turkey to buy for tacos is 85/15 ground turkey.
The other thing to keep in mind is, because ground turkey is so lean, it cannot go into the skillet dry the same way ground beef can. You need to add oil to the pan before cooking the turkey. Avocado oil is a great choice for this, as it is a healthy, flavorless oil.
HOW TO COOK GROUND TURKEY FOR TACOS
- Add oil to the pan and allow it to come to temperature.
- Add ground turkey and break it up.
- Season the meat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add to meat to the tortillas or taco shells, and top with your favorite taco toppings!
- Avocado or Canola Oil – Adding oil to the pan before cooking helps to keep the turkey from sticking to the surface of the pan, adds moisture to the meat, and also helps with browning.
- Ground Turkey – For the turkey, we recommend using turkey with 15% fat rather than a mere 7%. This fat content will help keep the meat moist during the cooking process. Look for ground turkey packages that say “85/15.”
- Seasoning – The seasoning for Ground Turkey Tacos is a very flavorful Mexican spice blend that has been perfectly tailored to amp up the ground turkey! You will need Kosher salt, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and onion powder. These are all of the spices you would typically find in taco seasoning.
- Tortillas – You can make soft or crispy tacos with this Ground Turkey Taco meat! For soft tacos, you’ll need flour tortillas, purchase taco shells.
TOPPINGS TO ADD
If a taco is served without toppings…is it really even a taco? Consider adding these classic taco toppings to the grocery list for an extra special touch!
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Taco Sauce
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GROUND TURKEY TACOS
Rice and charro beans are both very popular Mexican side dishes, and you can’t go wrong with that classic combo. Of course, other staples like salsa and guacamole should never be left off of the list, and if you want to serve something on the healthier side, Mexican Bean Salad is a great option.
6 MORE TACO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Fajita Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos
- Tacos de Pollo
- Crispy Potato Tacos
- Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos
- Easy Weeknight Tacos by House of Nash Eats
- 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (85/15)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 tortillas or crispy taco shells
- Desired taco toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated Cheddar, sour cream, taco sauce, etc...
Add the oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and allow to come to temperatre.
Add the ground turkey and break apart with a wooden spatula.
Add all of the seasoning and stir until the ground turkey is evenly coated. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the turkey is completely cooked through.
Spoon the meat into tortillas and top with your favorite taco toppings. Serve and enjoy!