Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix is a 3-ingredient winter staple that’s ready in an instant! Chocolatey and sweet, this simple mix will allow you to whip up a single-serving of Hot Cocoa on a whim! Giving as a gift? Package it in a decorative jar with a festive red ribbon and voila — a beautiful, family-friendly Christmas gift perfect for neighbors, co-workers, teachers, and the like!
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX INGREDIENTS
- Granulated Sugar
- Hot Cocoa
Hot Cocoa Mix is insanely easy to make and as you can see from the ingredient list above, there’s no need to buy it in packet form ever again! All you need is granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder (we used Hershey’s brand), and salt. Preferably, steer clear of Kosher salt and stick with fine sea salt or standard iodized table salt.
HOW TO MAKE HOT COCOA MIX
- To make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix, simply add the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt to an airtight container, and stir to combine. If you’re using a large enough container and there’s a fair amount of headspace, you could also seal the container and give it a good shake to mix.
- For every 3/4 cup to 1 cup of hot milk, you’ll use 2 generous tablespoons of Homemade Hot Cocoa mix. You could use water instead if you’d like, but for better flavor and a richer mouthfeel, we recommend milk. To make a cup of cocoa, heat up the milk or water, add your cocoa mix, and stir until dissolved.
- To make it extra special, have miniature marshmallows or whipped cream on standby for topping.
HOW LONG WILL DIY HOT COCOA LAST?
If you are using a new package of sugar and cocoa powder, you’re Hot Cocoa Mix will last up to a year in a tightly sealed container. However, be sure to use a clean, dry spoon every time you dip into the mix and take care not to put a wet spoon back in the jar!
MAKE YOURSELF A MOCHA COFFEE!
Like coffee? Add a couple of tablespoons of this Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix to your freshly brewed beverage, add a generous splash of half-and-half or cream, sit back and enjoy yourself a Mocha Coffee for a fraction of the price!
HOT COCOA MIX IN A JAR
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix is a wonderful, low-cost way to spread a little Christmas cheer! This recipe makes 2 1/4 cup total of Hot Cocoa Mix, so be sure to use a 20-ounce to 24-ounce jar. Specialty craft stores usually have a large selection of food-safe jars to beautifully house your Hot Cocoa Mix. You can find standard mason jars at just about any grocery store.
A festive red ribbon and gift tags make your gift all the merrier, and consider writing out instructions along these lines: “Use 2 tablespoons of Cocoa Mix per Cup.” Add this either on your gift tag or directly onto the jar with a sharpie or a paint pen!
5 MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Homemade Marshmallows are soft and airy, yet melt in your mouth when bitten, and they are a heavenly confection perfect for adding to your hot cocoa!
- Spiked Hot Chocolate is a festive cocktail perfect for the holidays, and you can easily whip up a quick batch for this year’s holiday party, or even make single servings for relaxing at home by the Christmas tree.
- Best Homemade Hot Chocolate is perfect for making a big batch of cocoa on the stovetop. All you need is cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, milk, and cream.
- Hot Chocolate with Real Chocolate is great for those of you feeling a little gourmet this holiday season. Featuring real, chopped chocolate for an intense chocolate experience!
- Christmas Cookies with Icing are the perfect complement to a steaming cup of hot cocoa! Buttery, flavorful sugar cookies topped with a decadent buttercream icing. Yes, please!
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix is a 3-ingredient winter staple that’s ready in an instant! Chocolatey and sweet, this simple mix will allow you to whip up single-serve Hot Cocoa on a whim!
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, separated
- 3/4 cup Dutch unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
In a 2-3 cup airtight storage container or jar, add the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk until well-combined and store.
Add 3/4 cup to 1 cup of milk (or water) to a microwave-safe mug and heat for 1-2 minutes on high, depending on how you like your cocoa. Take care when removing the mug from the microwave, it (and the milk) will be hot.
Add 2 generous tablespoons of cocoa mix to the mug, and stir until dissolved. Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to use a clean, dry spoon every time you dip into the mix and take care never to put a wet spoon back in the jar.