Just say no to mediocre, cough-drop-tasting Hot Toddies. There’s a better way to make them and it requires practically nothing in the effort department. In fact, all you need to make this Hot Toddy With Rum is a few minutes and a microwave.
For a superior flavored toddy, we’re swapping out the whiskey for spiced rum, throwing in some allspice, a star anise, and adding a squeeze of orange. It’s light, soothing, cozy, and absolutely perfect for sipping on a cold winter day.
Looking for more boozy, hot cocktails to try? Love love our Spiked Hot Chocolate next!
ABOUT HOT TODDIES
A hot toddy is a comforting cocktail commonly made with hot water, whiskey, lemon, and honey. It’s the perfect warming beverage to take away the chill of a wintery day and is also acclaimed as a cold-soothing remedy.
THE BEST HOT TODDY WITH RUM
Your basic Hot Toddy essentially has the same flavor profile as a lemon cough drop. But frankly, we can do better than that. You’ll be amazed at the difference just a few additions will make to both the aromatic nature and the flavor of this classic cocktail.
WHY USE SPICED RUM?
Spiced rum is flavored with ingredients like vanilla, citrus, and spices like cinnamon, allspice, cloves, star anise, and it’s a really easy way to add a lot of flavor to this simple cocktail!
WHOLE SPICES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE
In addition to notes of vanilla and the warming spices you’ll get from the rum, we’re also going to infuse the water of this particular cocktail recipe with a couple of our own spices: allspice and star anise.
Star anise gives off a mild (but pleasant) licorice flavor. It’s very pretty, but best if you don’t use more than one per cocktail. A little bit goes a long way. If you happen to be out of allspice, you can just double up on whichever one is in the cupboard for this recipe.
Your toddy will go from a cough-syrup-tasting cocktail to a symphony of cozy scents after just 45 seconds in the microwave!
ORANGE ROUNDS OUT FLAVORS
Last, but not least, to take a Hot Toddy with Rum from good to gourmet, just a splash of freshly squeezed orange, in addition to the lemon juice, will round out both the flavor and the acidity level of the cocktail.
HOW TO MAKE A HOT TODDY WITH RUM
- Heat It Up – Microwave the water, allspice, and star anise together in a microwave-safe mug for about forty-five seconds, or until hot to your liking.
- Add Rum, Honey, and Citrus – Add the spiced rum and the honey, as well as freshly-squeezed lemon and orange juice to the mug. Stir until the honey is dissolved.
- Serve Hot – Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve hot right away.
WHAT GOES IN A HOT TODDY?
As mentioned above the base ingredients of a Hot Toddy are liquor, honey, lemon, and hot water. However, any one of these ingredients can be adapted to curate the Hot Toddy of your wintery dreams!
You can make a Hot Toddy With Rum…or you can make it your own! Below are few ideas for sprucing up your toddies at home:
- Liquor | As far as the liquor goes, whiskey is by far the most popular, but you can use scotch, bourbon, amaro, brandy, or our personal favorite, spiced rum.
- Honey | If you want to sub in another sweetener for the honey, you could use Demerara sugar (a rich, golden sugar often used for cocktails), a simple syrup, or even maple syrup.
- Lemon | If you aren’t a fan of lemon, fresh-squeezed orange juice is an excellent substitute (or addition) to any Hot Toddy.
- Hot Water | People who want a little more flavor (and maybe even a boost of caffeine) in their toddies might prefer tea to water. You can use almost any variety of tea you like, but we recommend Earl Grey or Black/English Breakfast tea.
DO HOT TODDY’S CURE COLDS?
While a Hot Toddy is not going to remedy whatever’s ailing you, there are qualities to a Hot Toddy that could make you feel better and mask symptoms temporarily.
Liquor has a numbing effect which may decrease pain levels, honey soothes a sore throat, and lemon is a great source of vitamin C, which boosts immunity.
5 MORE COCKTAILS YOU’LL LOVE
This Hot Toddy With Rum is an easy, superior tasting toddy! Made with spiced rum, lemon, orange, honey, and spices.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 star anise
- 1 - 2 ounces spiced rum
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Add the water, allspice, and star anise to a microwave-safe mug and microwave on high for 45 seconds (or until hot to your liking).
Add the rum, honey, orange juice, and lemon juice to the mug and stir. Garnish with a cinnamon stick (if desired), serve, and enjoy!