Get ready to take a bite down memory lane. Crazy moist chocolate cupcakes with a shiny chocolate topping and a soft and gooey marshmallow center could only be inspired by America’s favorite snack cake– the one and only, Hostess Cupcakes! Top them off with a trio of miniature marshmallows and serve these Marshmallow Cupcakes at any occasion for a show-stopping dessert neither the kids nor the adults could refuse.
They’re made extra easy with a simple, homemade cupcake batter, store-bought marshmallow creme, and chocolate melting wafers. Before you know it, this drool-worthy dessert will have you feeling like a kid again.
HOSTESS CUPCAKES | COPYCAT RECIPE
Hostess Cupcakes are an iconic pantry staple, and likely still reign king of trades in the school cafeteria. In fact, these little creme-filled snack cakes just so happen to be the best-selling snack in the history of, well…forever. It was only a matter of time before the at-home bakers took a stab at the recipe and turned it into a homemade masterpiece.
You’ll find this Marshmallow Cupcake Recipe has been simplified to the max, yet sacrifices nothing in the way of flavor. Rather than making a ganache, melted candy wafers are used for the cupcake’s chocolate topping and straight marshmallow creme suffices for the filling. What does this mean for us? Less ingredients and less time spent in the kitchen.
Last, but not least, as far as that signature swirly topping goes? We replaced it with bonus marshmallows. No complaints here.
MARSHMALLOW CUPCAKES INGREDIENTS
You can use either box cake mix or make your Marshmallow Cupcakes from scratch. If you’re making them from scratch, you will need the following ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Sea Salt
- Canola Oil
- Vanilla Extract
Once your cake is baked, you’ll need to have the following ingredients to fill and top your cupcakes:
- Marshmallow Creme
- Ghirardelli Melting Wafers
- Miniature Marshmallows
HOW TO MAKE MARSHMALLOW CUPCAKES
- Prep – Preheat the oven to 350°F, and have ready two 12-cup muffin tins lined with baking cups.
- Make the Batter – If you are not using boxed cake mix to make your cupcakes, begin making the batter by mixing together the dry ingredients. Then, mix together the wet ingredients. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix once more.
- Fill Muffin Pan and Bake – Fill the baking cups just under half-way full and bake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Cut Hole in Cupcake – Cut a small cone shape out of the center of each cupcake, remove the liners and place on a large sheet of wax paper.
- Fill With Marshmallow Creme – Have ready a piping bag fitted with a round tip (e.g. Wilton #12), and fill with marshmallow creme. Pipe creme into the cavity of the cupcakes. If you do not have a piping bag and tip, spoon the marshmallow creme inside the cupcakes.
- Add the Toppings – Heat the melting wafers according to package directions. Add a generous spoonful of chocolate to the top of each cupcake and smooth over with the back of the spoon, and place 3 miniature marshmallows in the center of each cupcake. Allow to set 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
5 MORE CHOCOLATE DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Oreo Cupcakes have a super moist, chocolate cupcake base and a generous topping of dreamy Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting!
- Walnut Brownies are the perfect Little Debbie Brownies copycat recipe! Homemade brownies topped with extra chocolate and chopped walnuts. Seriously easy to make!
- Chocolate Chip Brownies are soft, chewy, and loaded with big chocolate flavor, and guaranteed to be the best you’ve ever had! They’re quick and easy to make and require only simple baking ingredients.
- Texas Sheet Cake is the perfect party dessert — it both feeds and pleases a crowd. This recipe for Original Texas Sheet Cake with Buttermilk is based on everything the classic cake was meant to be: Super chocolatey, decadently moist and tender, and topped with gooey, fudgy icing.
- Chocolate Drop Cookies are soft and gooey, and easy to make. Featuring step-by-step instructions, along with the secrets to making your drop cookies soft and fluffy, storage tips, and more!
Easy-to-make Marshmallow Cupcakes are crazy moist chocolate cupcakes with a shiny chocolate topping and a marshmallow center. Inspired by Hostess Cupcakes!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 (10 ounce) package Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and have ready two 12-cup muffin tins lined with baking cups.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Add the sugar and eggs to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. If you do not have a stand mixer, use a large mixing bowl and a handheld mixer.
Mix on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until visibly lightened in color and thickened.
Add the oil and vanilla and mix until evenly incorporated.
Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low until evenly incorporated. Then, add half of the milk and mix again.
Add the remaining dry ingredients, mix on low, and add the remaining mill. Mix until evenly incorporated. Using a spoon, scrape down the side of the bowl and mix once more.
Fill the baking cups just under half-way full, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking process.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, cut a small cone shape out of the center of each cupcake, remove the liners and place on a large sheet of wax paper.
Fill a piping bag fitted with a round tip (e.g. Wilton #12), and fill with marshmallow creme. Pipe creme into the cavity of the cupcakes.
Heat the melting wafer according to package directions. Add a generous spoonful of chocolate to the top of each cupcake and smooth over with the back of the spoon, and place 3 miniature marshmallows in the center of each cupcake.
Set cupcakes aside for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, and allow the chocolate to set. Serve and enjoy!