Sweet and creamy, with just the right amount of chocolate flavor, this easy Mudslide cocktail recipe is perfect for those who prefer their dessert in liquid form!
This simple mix of Bailey’s, chocolate liqueur, and vodka comes together seamlessly for a smooth-sipping cocktail that’s quick and easy to make, yet impresses at every given opportunity!
Serve it as the perfect ending to any meal with friends or use it as a slow-sipping nightcap to cure those sweet tooth cravings! You’ll also love our easy Chocolate Martinis! Bookmark the recipe for next time!
WHAT IS A MUDSLIDE?
A Mudslide is a dessert cocktail that can be served in one of two ways: Frozen or on the rocks (which means over ice).
The frozen rendition is pretty much a boozy, blended milkshake and it features vodka, Kahlua, Baileys, and ice cream. The rocks version nixes the ice cream altogether, but often incorporates another form of dairy such as cream or half-and-half in its place.
If you love sweet, creamy, chocolatey cocktails, this Mudslide recipe is for you. When served over ice, it has a very similar flavor profile to a Colorado Bulldog (which is just a White Russian with Coca Cola added to it), only you’ll find this Mudslide cocktail smoother, creamier, and equipped with more of a chocolate flair!
There’s certainly more than one way to make a Mudslide, but we found the ingredient combination below makes for the ultimate dessert cocktail! If you enjoy playing bartender, be sure to check out some fun recipe variations below.
- Vodka | We recommend using regular-flavored vodka, and it works perfectly for this recipe! However, if you’d like to add another flavor component, you could try vanilla, cinnamon, raspberry, cherry, or even marshmallow flavored vodka. Note, flavored vodkas have a great deal more sugar to them and will make the cocktail much sweeter.
- Chocolate Liqueur (or Kahlua) | When developing the recipe for this cocktail, we used Godiva Chocolate Liqueur in the place of Kahula for an extra chocolatey kick. It’s a rich and creamy, chocolate liqueur perfect for adding to all kinds of dessert cocktails!
- Baileys Irish Cream | Baileys is a whiskey-based, cream liqueur with mild chocolate flavor.
- Half-and-Half |Half-and-Half adds enough fat to the cocktail for a truly smooth, rich, and creamy sipping experience without a caloric/fat overload. However, if you’d prefer to cut back on the calories even further, use whole milk or cut the extra dairy entirely. On the other hand, if you want to kick up the decadence a notch, using heavy cream in the place of half-and-half will do the trick.
Add Kahlua | Many Mudslide recipes call for Kahlua, but this one calls upon chocolate liqueur instead. If you’d like for your spirit to have a little more of a coffee kick to it, feel free to use Kahlua in its place.
Add Brandy | Use brandy in the place of vodka. Brandy begins just like wine (from fermented fruits such as grapes, apricots, or even apples) and is then distilled into alcohol. Using it in place of the vodka will add a brighter and somewhat fruity note to the drink A cherry-flavored brandy would be extra yummy in this Mudslide Cocktail!
Make It Dessert | You could also use a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the place of cream and serve this dessert cocktail is a legitimate dessert served affogato-style. Just cut the ice and be sure to serve it with a spoon!
HOW TO MAKE A MUDSLIDE COCKTAIL
- Add Ice – Add ice to a rocks or lowball glass and fill to the top.
- Add the Booze – Pour the vodka, chocolate liqueur, and Bailey’s Irish Cream over the ice. Add the half-and-half as well.
- Stir – Stir the cocktail ingredients until the mixture is evenly combined, serve, and enjoy!
HOW TO ADD THE CHOCOLATE GARNISH
If you want to add a chocolate garnish to your Mudslide glass, you’ll need to do it before you add any of the other ingredients, including the ice.
Grab yourself a bottle of chocolate syrup and hold the glass at a 45° angle. Begin drizzling the syrup into the glass, turning the glass back and forth as you swirl. Just once or twice around the glass is all you need.
In order to keep your chocolate garnish intact, you’ll need to mix your cocktail ingredients in a shaker rather than in the glass itself. To do this, add ice to the shaker, followed by the cocktail ingredients. Then, seal the shaker and give it a good 15-second shake. Lastly, fill your glass with ice and pour the cocktail mix over the center.
5 MORE SWEET COCKTAILS YOU’LL LOVE
A quick and easy recipe for a sweet, creamy, and perfectly chocolatey Mudslide cocktail!
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce Godiva Chocolate Liqueur (or Kahlua Coffee Liqueur)
- 1 ounce Bailey's Irish Cream
- 2 ounces (equal to 1/4 cup) half-and-half
Add ice to a rocks or lowball glass and fill to the top.
Pour the vodka, chocolate liqueur, and Bailey's Irish Cream over the ice. Add the half-and-half as well.
Stir the cocktail ingredients until the mixture is evenly combined, serve, and enjoy!
FOR A CHOCOLATE GARNISH:
- Before you add any ingredients, hold the glass at a 45° angle and drizzle in a thin stream of the syrup, turning the glass back and forth a couple of times as your swirl.
- Add ice to a shaker, followed by the cocktail ingredients. Then, seal the shaker and shake well.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour the cocktail over the ice.