Move over ice cream — Cookies and Cream is now available in cupcake form. Just like America’s beloved cookie, Oreo Cupcakes are the perfect combination of vanilla and chocolate! Featuring a super moist, chocolate cupcake base and a generous topping of dreamy Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting!
Serve these cupcakes at birthday parties, holiday gatherings, and potluck parties for a crowd-pleasing dessert the Oreo lovers will swoon for!
Want more Oreo goodness? Add our creamy, decadent No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake to your dessert lineup next!
COOKIES AND CREAM FROSTING
Oreo Cupcakes with Cookies and Cream Frosting is all about the Oreos. Clearly. The frosting consists of a vanilla buttercream frosting made up of butter, powdered sugar, marshmallow fluff, vanilla extract, and salt. Once the frosting is smooth and creamy, crushed Oreos go in.
HOW TO MAKE COOKIES AND CREAM ICING
- Make the Buttercream – Add the butter and marshmallow fluff to a bowl and mix on medium-high speed until smooth. Then, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix until completely smooth once more.
- Add the Oreos – Add the crushed Oreos, mix to combine, and spread (or pipe) across the cupcakes.
HOW TO CRUSH OREOS
Before you can begin making your Oreo Cupcakes with Cookies and Cream Frosting, you’ll need to have your Oreos crushed. You can do this by adding the Oreos (with the filling intact) to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and processing until fine crumbs appear.
If you do not have a food processor, add the Oreos to a gallon-sized plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin. Keep in mind the crumbs will not be as fine if using this method, and may prove difficult to pipe the icing on your Oreo Cupcakes using a piping tip. If this is the case, simply spread the icing on instead.
HOW TO MAKE OREO CUPCAKES FROM SCRATCH
- Sift Dry Ingredients – Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix Wet Ingredients – Add sugar and eggs to a separate bowl and mix on medium-high speed until visibly lightened in color and thickened. Then, add the oil and vanilla and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Alternate Dry Ingredients with Milk – Finish the batter for your Oreo Cupcakes by adding half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low. Then, add half of the milk and mix again. Add the remaining dry ingredients, followed by the remaining milk, and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Bake and Cool – Fill the baking cups just under half-way full, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Ice with Cookies and Cream Frosting – Once your cupcakes have completely cooled, turn them into Oreo cupcakes by piping (or spreading) on the Cookies and Cream Frosting!
OREO CUPCAKES WITH CAKE MIX
Oreo Cupcakes are Oreo Cupcakes thanks to that Cookies and Cream Frosting, so if you don’t have time to make cupcakes from scratch, feel free to use a cake mix! You could use any vanilla or chocolate box cake mix you like, and bake according to package directions. Then, allow to cool and frost with your Homemade Cookies and Cream Frosting!
5 MORE PARTY DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars are an ever-popular, crowd-pleasing party dessert with a flaky crust, a buttery, cinnamon-sugar topping and a thick, luscious center of smooth and creamy cheesecake filling!
- Chocolate Chip Brownies are soft, chewy, and loaded with big chocolate flavor! This recipe is quick and easy to make and requires only simple ingredients!
- Texas Sheet Cake is the perfect party dessert — it both feeds and pleases a crowd. Super chocolatey, decadently moist, and topped with gooey, fudgy icing.
- Chocolate Drop Cookies are full of chocolate, soft and gooey, and easy to make! A recipe is guaranteed to deliver in every which way.
- Red Velvet Brownies are the perfect holiday dessert! Made from scratch and equipped with a simple Cream Cheese Frosting, they never disappoint.
Oreo Cupcakes with a super moist, chocolate cupcake base and a generous topping of dreamy Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting! Best. Oreo. Dessert. Ever!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup crushed Oreos
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and have ready two 12-cup muffin tins lined with baking cups.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Add the sugar and eggs to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. If you do not have a stand mixer, use a large mixing bowl and a handheld mixer. Mix on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until visibly lightened in color and thickened. Add the oil and vanilla and mix until evenly incorporated.
Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low until evenly incorporated. Then, add half of the milk and mix again. Add the remaining dry ingredients, mix on low, and add the remaining milk. Mix until evenly incorporated. Using a spoon, scrape down the side of the bowl and mix once more.
Fill the baking cups just under half-way full, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking process. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Add the butter and marshmallow fluff to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. If you do not have a stand mixer, use a handheld mixer and a large mixing bowl.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Begin mixing on low, then increase the speed to medium-high and mix until completely smooth. Add the crushed Oreos, mix to combine, and spread (or pipe) across the tops of the cupcakes.