If you’re looking for an easier way to cook vegetables, ditch the sauté pan and get ready to bake. No more standing over the stovetop, no more stirring required. This easy Veggie Bake features oven-roasted zucchini, sweet red peppers, and onions. It’s a simple and healthy side dish recipe perfect for weeknight dinners!
VEGGIE BAKE INGREDIENTS
Conveniently, this Veggie Bake can be changed up in a number of different ways, and is customizable to suit almost any preference! See below for substitution options and recommendations:
- Zucchini – This dish is heavy on the zucchini, but if you have yellow squash on hand, you can absolutely sub it in. In fact, The Kitch’n reports the only real and notable differences between the two veggies lies in shape and color.
- Red Bell Pepper – Red bell peppers tend to be a little sweeter than green, and are the recommended choice for this recipe. However, green, yellow, and orange bell peppers would also work if you prefer.
- Red Onion – The same goes for the onion: You’ve got options. If you don’t have red onion, yellow is a fine substitution.
- Olive Oil, Kosher Salt, and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE OVEN-ROASTED ZUCCHINI VEGGIE BAKE
There is very little prep involved when it comes to this dish. Just a little chopping, a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of seasoning, and into the oven the mixture goes.
Preheat the Oven and Prep the Pan – Preheat the oven to 400° and have ready one large, rimmed sheet pan (possibly two) lined with aluminum foil.
Cut the Veggies – There’s no way to cut the vegetables into identical shapes and sizes, but try to get them somewhat close. There’s no need to finely dice anything, here. In fact, when it comes to the bell pepper and onion, the chunkier, the better! Just a good rough chop will do.
Drizzle with Oil and Season – Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss until the vegetables are evenly coated.
Bake – Before you put your Veggie Bake in the oven, make sure the vegetables are not crammed together on the sheet pan. If there is not ample room for them to spread out, transfer half of the seasoned vegetable mixture to the second sheet pan to ensure they roast, rather than steam! Then, bake for 20 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OVEN-ROASTED ZUCCHINI
If you need some more sustenance alongside your Veggie Bake, try serving them over brown rice…or even better, over brown rice and top the whole chi-bang with roasted salmon and a drizzle of soy sauce! Yum.
5 MORE VEGGIE SIDE DISHES YOU’LL LOVE
- Roasted Smashed Potatoes are smashed Baby Gold Yukon Potatoes smeared with a garlic-Parmesan butter, then roasted to crispy perfection!
- Fried Squash is crispy on the outside and buttery, soft on the inside. Use yellow squash, zucchini, or both!
- Roasted Root Vegetables is a medley of perfectly cooked parsnips, carrots, and red potatoes, sprinkled with fresh minced rosemary.
- Yellow Squash Casserole is made with yellow squash, cheese, and Ritz crackers! Perfect for barbecues, family dinners, potlucks, and more!
- Green Bean Almondine features buttery green beans topped with a crunchy almond sauce. It comes together quickly and with very few ingredients.
An oven roasted zucchini medley featuring perfectly cooked zucchini, sweet red peppers, and onions.
- 4 zucchini scrubbed clean and dried
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, cored and stem removed
- 1 red onion largely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400° and have ready one large, rimmed sheet pan (possibly two) lined with aluminum foil.
Cut off the ends of the zucchini and discard. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and cut each half into 3/4" pieces. Transfer to the sheet pan. Next, cut the red pepper into 3/4" strips lengthwise and cut each strips into thirds. Transfer to the sheet pan, along with the red onion.
Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss until vegetables are evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
At this point, make sure the vegetables are not crammed together on the sheet pan. If there is not ample room for them to spread out, transfer half of the seasoned vegetable mixture to the second sheet pan to ensure they roast, rather than steam. Roast for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.