Ice cream just got a whole lot more exciting for the peanut butter lovers of the world! This homemade Peanut Butter Milkshake is addictively delicious with its salty-sweet notes and extra creamy vibes!
It's a quick and easy dessert that requires only 3 ingredients and whips up in a matter of mere seconds! Feel free to make it with chocolate or vanilla ice cream -- whichever is your favorite!
Love milkshakes? Bookmark our Cookies and Cream Milkshake for next time!
HOW TO MAKE A PEANUT BUTTER MILKSHAKE
- Blend | Combine the ice cream, peanut butter, and milk in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve | Pour into a glass and serve!
If you'd like to make your Peanut Butter Milkshakes extra special, see below on how to embellish your milkshake glass with decadent smears of peanut butter, or garnish it with a chocolate ganache rim!
Down below, you'll also find a fun list of delicious ways to top off your shake!
A WORD ON MILKSHAKE CONSISTENCY
Milkshake consistency has a lot less to do with the milk-to-ice cream ratio and much more to do with the consistency of the ice cream as it goes into the blender!
For a thicker shake, make sure your ice cream is extra firm and ice cold. For a thinner milkshake, allow your milkshake to sit out on the counter for about 10 minutes before scooping.
DO I NEED A FANCY BLENDER TO MAKE GOOD MILKSHAKES AT HOME?
Long story short -- no. You can make a fabulous Peanut Butter Milkshake without any fancy equipment.
The trick is to start blending on low, and as soon as you see the ice cream start to break down into liquid form, slowly increase the speed!
PEANUT BUTTER MILKSHAKE INGREDIENTS
- Ice Cream | You can use either chocolate or vanilla ice cream for your Peanut Butter Milkshakes. If you're really big on peanut butter, you might want to stick with the vanilla. It really allows that flavor to shine! On the other hand, if you're Team Peanut Butter-And-Chocolate, you'll most definitely want to go with chocolate ice cream.
- Peanut Butter | When developing this recipe, we used good ol' standard creamy peanut butter, and it's what's going to lend your Peanut Butter Milkshakes that perfect salty-sweet vibe. However, if you'd like to sub in a different nut butter, go for it! See more on that below.
- Milk | You can use 2% milk if you want for this recipe, however, whole milk is best as it will give your milkshakes extra creamy vibes. If you want your shake to be extra, extra decadent, you could even use half-and-half or cream!
CAN YOU SUB IN ANOTHER NUT BUTTER?
A healthy nut butter (one without added sugar) might add a nice nutty note to your milkshake, but you won't get that signature peanut butter flavor.
If you're looking to boost the chocolate flavor in your milkshake, Nutella is a great option!
PEANUT BUTTER MILKSHAKE GARNISHES AND TOPPINGS
A simple way to garnish your Peanut Butter Milkshake glassware is to simply smear spreads of peanut butter sporadically inside the glass. A small, silicone spreader will make easy work of this, and you'll need just a scant tablespoon of peanut butter per smear.
If you want to serve some over-the-top milkshakes, you'll want to go ahead and whip up this easy ganache! The way those chocolate drips cling to the side of the glass is a full-on show-stopper!
HOW TO MAKE GANACHE FOR GLASSWARE
To make a ganache that will stick to your glassware, you will need:
- ⅔ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
Add the chocolate chips and the cream to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, just until the chocolate chips appear slightly melted. Then, stir the mixture together until the chips are entirely melted and it becomes smooth!
Swirl the rim of your glass in the ganache and set the glass upright on top of a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Allow the ganache to drip down the sides of the glass and give it about 15 minutes to set.
Note: If you want anything (like chopped peanuts or crushed Butterfinger candies) to stick to the chocolate on the glass, make sure you sprinkle them on while the ganache is still wet!
HOW TO TOP OFF YOUR PEANUT BUTTER MILKSHAKE!
Before you make your Peanut Butter Milkshake, you'll want to be sure you have all your toppings handy! Milkshakes melt quickly, so you'll want those goodies to be easily accessible.
Here are just a few suggestions for taking your peanut butter masterpiece to the next level!
- Whipped Cream
- A Drizzle of Chocolate Syrup
- A Sprinkle of Chopped Peanuts
- Chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Crushed Butterfinger Candy
- Crushed Up Peanut Butter Cookies
5 MORE PEANUT BUTTER DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Butterfinger Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Reece's No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
This homemade Peanut Butter Milkshake is an addictively delicious, quick and easy! It only requires 3 ingredients and about 5 minutes! Feel free to make it with chocolate or vanilla ice cream -- whichever is your favorite!
- 4 big scoops vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- Whipped cream, chopped peanuts, or crushed Butterfinger (if desired)
Add the ice cream, peanut butter, and milk to the blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and other toppings, if desired.