Rice Krispie Treats are a childhood favorite that have stood the test of time, and they’re bound to go over well with any generation. But, as much as we all love that classic rendition, there’s one simple ingredient that can make them even better. Even more beloved. That ingredient is peanut butter. Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are just as easy to make as their gooey predecessor, and they come together just as quickly.
Today, in addition to a gooey, soft and stretchy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat, we’ll also cover (1) options for making them on the stovetop and the microwave, (2) tips for keeping them soft and gooey and the one thing you should do to avoid making them hard and overly chewy, (3) how to store them, along with freezing tips and even how to package them for gifting.
MARSHMALLOWS AND PEANUT BUTTER — YES, PLEASE.
Marshmallows and peanut butter go hand in hand. In fact, they go together so well, there’s even a sandwich named after the combo — Fluffernutters anyone? As much fun as that word is to say, it’s safe to say you’ll enjoy the combination just as much in Rice Krispie Treat form. These delicious Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats come well equipped with extra marshmallows and a little extra flavor thanks to the addition of salty-sweet peanut butter. They’re soft, gooey, and would rival the quality of any bakery rendition.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS
The only difference between making a classic batch of Rice Krispie Treats and Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats is the addition of peanut butter. Every other ingredient and step of the recipe stays the same.
The addition of the peanut butter comes once your marshmallows and butter have melted together. At this point, you would simply stir in the peanut butter. The change is as simple as that.
Not all Rice Krispie Treat recipes will call for the addition of vanilla extract and salt, but these simple additions are the difference between an “ok” Rice Krispie Treat and a stellar one. For a Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat with incredible flavor, you’ll want to have all of the following ingredients on hand:
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Peanut Butter
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Melt the butter and marshmallows together on a large pot.
- Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the Rice Krispie cereal and extra marshmallows and stir.
- Transfer to casserole dish and gently press.
- Set and serve!
1. MELT THE BUTTER (AND MARSHMALLOWS)
The first step in making your homemade Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats is to melt the butter. If you are making your treats on the stovetop, you’ll want to be sure that you melt the butter over medium heat to prevent it from browning to quickly. As soon as your butter has melted, you’ll add the of the majority marshmallows (not all of them) and stir until the marshmallows are melted and blended.
2. ADD THE PEANUT BUTTER
Once the marshmallows and butter are melted and combined, the peanut butter goes in. This is what makes them Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats! In addition to the peanut butter, you’ll also add the vanilla extract and salt.
WHY VANILLA AND SALT MATTER
Vanilla extract gives a flavor boost to sweet treats, and salt should never be overlooked. Salt helps to bring out the flavor in everything, but especially when it comes to desserts. If you’ve ever had a dessert that was one note and overly sweet, it might not have been the sugar quantity that was the problem, but rather a lack of vanilla and salt.
3. COMBINE WITH RICE KRISPIES AND EXTRA MARSHMALLOWS
After you’ve whipped up your peanut butter-marshmallow sauce, the Rice Krispies go in. This as simple as adding and stirring, but be sure you actually measure the cereal you’re adding in.
The Rice Krispie to marshmallow ratio makes all the difference in the world when it comes to a perfectly gooey and soft Rice Krispie Treat. This recipe was developed with extra marshmallows (and butter) to ensure a bakery-style marshmallow treat you can easily make at home! In addition to this, the extra marshmallows added after the Rice Krispies are mixed in also helps to make them pillowy soft. A dreamy combination with the crisp of the rice cereal.
4. PLACE IN CASSEROLE DISH
Lastly, you’ll transfer the mixture to a buttered (or oiled) casserole dish, and gently press them into bar form. “Gently” being the keyword here. You’ll want to use buttered hands for this. It’s a sticky job.
The Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats will take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to set, depending on the temperature and humidity level in your kitchen.
TROUBLESHOOTING: WHY YOUR RICE KRISPIE TREATS ARE HARD
If your Rice Krispie Treats are hard, pressing them with too much vigor into the prepared pan is likely the culprit. Save those muscles for another task, and use light hands for this process. Stop pressing as soon as the top is level.
HOW TO MAKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS IN THE MICROWAVE
You can also prepare Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats using the microwave! Instead of melting the butter and marshmallows in a large pot on the stovetop…
- Add butter and marshmallows to your largest microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at 45-second intervals until melted.
- Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and Kosher salt.
- Add the Rice Krispies to a large mixing bowl, pour the marshmallow mixture over, and stir. Add the remaining marshmallows and stir once more.
HOW TO STORE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Store your Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats in an airtight container at room temperature. The snugger, the better. Rice Krispie Treats will start to turn stale and lose their freshness after about 3-4 days, but no worries if you’ve got goodies leftover beyond this point — you can freeze them!
YOU CAN FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS!
If you’d like to make your marshmallow treats in advance, you can make a batch, and place them in a freezer-safe, snug airtight container, separating the layers with sheets of wax paper. It also doesn’t hurt to place wax paper on the bottom of your storage container — these treats are a little sticky! Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
GIVING AS A GIFT?
These Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are beautifully speckled throughout with white fluffy marshmallows, and their quality rivals those you’ll find at any professional bakery, making them a stellar gift idea. But, packaging them may have you a little stumped.
To package Rice Krispie Treats for a gift, stack them in a cellophane bag (found in the baking section of specialty craft stores like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby), and separate each treat with a small, cut-out square of wax paper or parchment paper. Cut your squares relatively the same size as the Rice Krispie Treats.
Then, tie the baggie with a twist tie and finish it off with a festive ribbon!
You will love these gooey, soft Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats! The simple, delicious additions of peanut butter and extra marshmallows are a great way to breathe new life into a classic childhood favorite. A delicious treat gladly received by all! Please, enjoy!
5 MORE PEANUT BUTTER DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies are thick, soft, and practically melt in your mouth with every single bite.
- Thumbprint Hershey Kiss Cookies are miniature, bite-sized cookies with the perfect cookie-to-kiss ratio!
- Peanut Butter Cookies Dipped in Chocolate are the all-time, ultimate homemade gift for the peanut butter lover!
- Cap’n Crunch No Bake Peanut Butter Pie features a Golden Oreo and Cap’n Crunch crust and a peanut butter pie filling made with salted caramel and cream cheese! The perfect make-ahead party dessert!
- Peanut Butter Butterfinger Blondies are dressed up for Halloween, but can be made any time of year! A blondie decked out with peanut butter, crushed Butterfinger candy, and a drizzle of dark chocolate.
The best soft and gooey Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats made in a flash with this simple and delicious recipe!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, separated (just under 2 packages)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
Have ready a greased 9x13" casserole dish.
Add the butter to a large pot over medium heat and melt. As soon as the butter has melted, add 8 cups miniature marshmallows and stir until melted and combined. Turn off the heat and stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
Add the Rice Krispies to the pot and stir to combine, then stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of marshmallows and stir to evenly distribute.
Transfer the contents of the pot to the prepared casserole dish, and with greased hands, gently press down to smooth over the top. Do not press hard or the marshmallow treats will be tough.
Allow to set, about 30-45 minutes. Cut into 12-16 squares, serve, and enjoy!
You can also prepare this recipe using the microwave! To do so, eliminate steps 2 and 3.
- Add the butter and 8 cups of marshmallows to your largest microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 45-second intervals, stirring after each stint in the microwave. Should take between 2-3 minutes.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and Kosher salt.
- Add the Rice Krispies to a large mixing bowl, pour over the marshmallow mixture, and stir. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of marshmallows and stir once more. Pick back up to step 4.