A quick and easy Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe with the right amount of sweet and tang. It’s the perfect creamy consistency, and an ideal companion to any spring, summer, or fruit salad!
POPPY SEED DRESSING INGREDIENTS
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing is incredibly simple to make. It requires no drizzling-whisking emulsification process and very few ingredients. In fact, all you need to make it at home is:
- Lemon Juice
- Poppy Seeds
Surprisingly, the base of this sweet and tangy dressing is mayonnaise, although the dressing doesn’t really taste like mayonnaise whatsoever. It is, however, what gives the dressing its creamy vibes.
Honey lends sweetness to the dressing and is partially the reason it’s so delicious drizzled over any spinach or spring salads (e.g. this Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad) bearing fruit. In fact, it would be completely delicious drizzled over a stand-alone fruit salad, no lettuce required. Maybe a few berries, kiwi, mango, melon and the like. Yum.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice provides the dressing with a balanced tang and the poppy seeds? Well, without them, it wouldn’t be Poppy Seed Dressing, now would it?
HOW TO MAKE POPPY SEED DRESSING
As mentioned earlier, making a Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing is an absolute cinch. In fact, it’s so simple, it requires only 3 simple steps.
- Cut a lemon in half.
- Measure ingredients and add them to a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
Yup. That’s it.
FUN FACTS ABOUT POPPY SEEDS
- Poppy seeds are nutty in flavor, boast a pleasant fruitiness, and pair wonderfully with lemon — three reasons why they are absolutely delicious in a Poppy Seed Dressing featuring honey and lemon!
- Store your poppy seeds in the freezer if you don’t use them often. Their oils can cause them to go rancid quickly.
- Your nose will likely tell you if your poppy seeds have gone bad by detecting a bitter or stinging aroma. Expiration dates are also good detectors. But, you already knew that.
- If you eat poppy seeds within 12-24 hours of taking a drug test, you just might fail. They certainly won’t get you high, but they could contain trace amounts of opiate residue. This is not a myth, folks. Just ask the Institute of Environmental Science and Research.
- Sure, they might make you fail your drug test, but take solace in knowing poppy seeds are rich in magnesium, calcium, and fiber! #worthit
3 MORE CREAMY DRESSINGS YOU’LL LOVE
- Easy Ranch Dressing features the perfect blend of mayonnaise, sour cream, minced garlic and a simple mix of herbs and spices.
- Honey Mustard Sauce at home is just as good, if not better than your favorite restaurant’s! Perfect for both drizzling and dipping, it’s sweet, tangy perfection, and it all comes together in 2 minutes or less.
- Chick-Fil-A Sauce is an addictively delicious dipping sauce so beloved, it was named after the establishment itself. With its smoky honey-mustard vibes, this one has become the fan favorite.
A sweet and tangy dressing, featuring fresh lemon juice, honey and poppy seeds.
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Makes about a 1/2 cup.