The ultimate Mexican Pasta Skillet with strips of juicy, flavorful chicken, peppers, and pasta tossed in a creamy Queso sauce. A delicious one-pan dinner!
If you love queso, you're really going to love this pasta! Featuring a quick and easy queso sauce, chicken, and pastat!
- ½ lb of Rigatoni cooked to al dente
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts sliced thin across the grain and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil + 1 tbsp more if necessary
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 9 tsp TAK's Tex-Mex Blend separated
- 2 c Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1 c Whole Milk
- White Onion diced
- Red Bell Pepper seeded and diced
- 3 Jalapenos seeded and diced
- 6 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c Freshly Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 c Freshly Grated Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 c Freshly Grated Oaxaca Cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 400° Place a cast-iron skillet (or an oven-safe saute pan) over medium heat and add canola oil. Once the pan is ready, add chicken and 4 tsp of the Tex-Mex Seasoning. Saute for 8-10 minutes, just until chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
While the chicken is cooking combine broth and milk in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring pitcher, and heat in microwave for 1 ½ minutes or until warmed through. Alternatively, place in a small saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.
- Reduce heat of the skillet to medium and add an additional tbsp of canola oil if skillet is fairly dry. Once the oil is heated, add butter along with vegetables. Saute for 5 minutes or just until softened. Sprinkle over the flour and stir until it evenly coats the vegetables. Add broth/milk mixture in small splashes, followed by thorough whisking until the liquid is completely absorbed. Do this until your mixture takes on a pudding-like texture.
- Once you have reached this stage you may add in the remaining broth and stir. Raise the heat to medium-high and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add to the mixture 5 tsp of Tex-Mex Seasoning, along with ½ c of Cheddar and a ½ c of Monterrey Jack. Stir to combine. Add chicken and pasta and stir once more. Top with remaining Cheddar, Monterrey Jack and Oaxaca Cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, allow to cool slightly and serve.
Makes 8 Servings
If you're in a hurry to get dinner on the table, grab yourself a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and sub it into the recipe, or just omit the chicken altogether.