Want to turn your brownies into every happy campers' favorite dessert? All you need are three extra ingredients! S'mores Brownies come fully loaded with a topping of toasty, gooey marshmallows, Hershey's chocolate, and crunchy graham crackers, with a brownie base that's rich, fudgy, and positively decadent.
Make no mistake -- this is the ultimate bar cookie! You'll find kids and grown-ups alike swoon for this decked out treat, and it's the perfect party dessert for summertime...or any time of year! Love marshmallows and chocolate? Bookmark these S'mores Cookies for your next baking extravaganza!
THE BEST S'MORES BROWNIES RECIPE
Originally, this recipe was not developed for publishing purposes. In fact, it was a "just for fun," quality-time, kitchen activity I thought my five-year-old would enjoy.
I wanted something quick, simple, and easy that we could make together. Chocolate Chip Brownies are our typical go-to for a simple baking project, but with leftover s'mores ingredients on hand, we decided to really go for it this time. S'mores Brownies? Ummm --yes, please.
The kids absolutely adored the brownies...and so did I. The next day, we had a couple of families over to the house. I cut up the leftover S'mores Brownies into bite-sized pieces and everybody raved about them. I mean, absolutely everybody raved about them. It was then and there, I decided this brownie recipe had to see the light of day, and its fudgy, gooey gloriousness absolutely must be shared with the world!
Without further ado, this is how you make our new, fan-favorite ultimate S'mores Brownies Recipe!
HOW TO MAKE S' MORES BROWNIES
- Mix Dry Ingredients - In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix Wet Ingredients - In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Then, add the melted butter and mix well.
- Combine Together - Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. The batter will be thick. Then, add the chocolate chips (if using).
- Cover and Bake - Transfer your brownie batter to an 8x8" baking dish and smooth over the top. Then, cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Add the S'mores Topping - Remove the partially baked brownies from the oven and top off the batter with marshmallows, broken pieces of a Hershey's chocolate bar, and crushed up graham crackers.
- Bake Again - Then, return to the oven to finish baking; this time, uncovered. Bake for about 20 more minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasty to your liking.
- Cool - Remove from the oven and allow the pan to cool completely before cutting into your S'mores Brownies
CAN I USE A BROWNIE BOX MIX INSTEAD OF MAKING THEM FROM SCRATCH?
Running short on time? Use a box mix! Just make the brownie batter according to package directions. Once your batter comes together, switch gears back to this recipe! You'll begin at step 6 in the recipe card below.
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Hershey Bars
- Graham Crackers
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! S'mores Brownies are an excellent make-ahead treat and they stay gooey and totally delicious for days after they're made! Bake these up to 4 days in advance. Best of luck not eating them all up before then.
HOW TO STORE S'MORES BROWNIES
You can store these brownies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
To freeze them, cut the brownies into bars or squares as desired, and place them in a snug, freezer-safe, airtight container, separated by sheets of wax paper for up to 3 months. Make sure they are completely cooled before you stack them, or the marshmallow topping will stick to the wax paper.
TIPS FOR MAKING S'MORES BROWNIES
- Make sure your eggs are well-mixed and evenly incorporated into the brownie batter! If not, it could result in uneven cooking.
- Take care not to overmix once the dry ingredients go in!
- Don't forget the foil! These brownies "pre-bake" before they get their S'more topping! This step is not meant to cook the brownies all the way through, but rather give them a head start in the oven. By doing this, you ensure your marshmallow topping comes out toasty and golden brown. But! You want the top of the brownies to be somewhat gooey so the marshmallows adhere to the batter when you bake them!
- As soon as the brownies finish cooking, run a sharp knife along the edges of the pan to keep the marshmallows from sticking to the sides.
- Note: These brownies are extra fudgy and both the chocolatey base and the marshmallow topping are going to be gooey. If you don't let them cool, you'll need a spoon to eat them!
5 MORE BROWNIE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Walnut Brownies
- Banana Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Dr. Pepper Cherry Brownies by The Speckled Palate
S'mores Brownies with a brownie base that's rich and fudgy, and a fully loaded topping of toasty, gooey marshmallows, Hershey's chocolate, and crunchy graham crackers!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 ½ (1.55-ounce) Hershey bars, broken up into bite-sized pieces
- 2 crushed up graham crackers
Preheat the oven to 350° and have ready a greased, 8"x8" square baking dish.
Melt the butter in a microwave-safe pitcher or bowl, and set aside to cool.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk and set aside.
Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl, and whisk. Add the sugar and vanilla, and with a handheld mixer on medium speed (or a sturdy wooden spoon), mix until well combined. Slowly stream in the melted butter, mixing all the while.
Add the dry ingredients and slowly mix until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mix once more.
Add the batter to the baking dish, spread to the edges, smooth over the top, and cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Then, remove it from the oven.
Remove the foil and add the marshmallows across the top of the brownie batter. Be careful, as the pan will be hot. Then, gently wedge shards of chocolate into/across the top of the marshmallows, and do the same with any larger chunks of graham crackers. Lastly, scatter any graham cracker crumbs across the top.
Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and allow to set for about 45 minutes, or until the pan is cool to the touch. Slice, serve and enjoy.