If presents won’t bring people together come the holidays, tamales most definitely will. This traditional Christmastime staple is best served alongside a savory Tamale Sauce…but let’s not serve it with just any Tamale Sauce. Serve them with the absolute best Tamale Sauce! And, while we’re at it — let’s not reserve them for once a year either.
This is a quick-fix, cheesy Tamale Sauce that reigns supreme with its Tex-Mex flare and kick of spice. It’s the perfect consistency for dipping or drizzling over tamales, but can also be used for enchiladas, burritos, chimichangas and more!
ABOUT TAMALE SAUCE
Tamales can be served with any number of condiments — ranchero sauce, guacamole, and sour cream — just to name a few. But, the most popular of them all is the traditional red chili sauce, not to be confused with the aforementioned ranchero sauce.
Traditional Tamale Sauce is made from red, dried chilies, garlic, and cumin. It begins by roasting peppers briefly in the oven, followed by a soak in water. Then, the chilies and water are blended into together with spices. The recipe is then moved to the stovetop where a roux then comes together, and the chili puree is added. The sauce thickens on the stovetop and it’s ready for serving.
This is not that Tamale Sauce. No. This Tamale Sauce, on the other hand, will be much, much easier. Not to mention, a whole lot more flavorful thanks to a little Tex-Mex flare.
TEX-MEX TAMALE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Butter – Butter adds a richness to the sauce, but if you don’t have any on hand, you can sub in avocado or canola oil.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Beef Broth – Beef Broth gives this Tex-Mex Tamale Sauce and extra savory note. Make sure you use low-sodium/unsalted beef broth to avoid an overly salty sauce.
- Adobo Sauce – Adobo sauce is a red sauce that consists of paprika, garlic, salt, oregano, and vinegar. If you’ve ever bought canned chipotles, you’ve probably noticed the peppers come free-floating in this very sauce. There is more than enough adobo sauce in a can of chipotles, so if you can’t find just Adobo Sauce, know you can always go with a can of “Chipotles in Adobo.” In either case, you’ll find it on the international aisle of your grocery store. If you have leftover adobo sauce, you can use it up in this easy Chipotle Sauce Recipe!
- Taco Seasoning – You can use either store-bought taco seasoning or this Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- American Cheese – Surprising as this may seem, American cheese is somewhat of a staple in Tex-Mex dishes thanks to its melty nature and creamy consistency, as well as a flavor profile that lets you know there’s definitely cheese in there…without completely overpowering the dish. And, (as one might imagine) makes for an excellent addition to Tex-Mex Tamale Sauce!
HOW TO MAKE TAMALE SAUCE
This Tex-Mex Tamale Sauce is very simple to make and it comes together in just over 10 minutes, making it the perfect addition for quick-fix dinners and, of course, entertaining.
- Melt the butter, sprinkle in the flour, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the beef broth and allow to simmer.
- Add adobo sauce, taco seasoning, and slices of American cheese.
- Stir until melted and serve right away!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TAMALES
Serve tamales and Tamale Sauce with side dishes, tortilla chips and salsa for a full-on Mexican feast!
5 MORE TEX-MEX RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Rotel Dip with Ground Beef is a fuss-free appetizer you’ll serve again and again! In this easy dip, Velveeta cheese gets a little sprucing up thanks to simple additions like Rotel canned tomatoes and chiles and hearty taco-seasoned ground beef.
- Easy Ranchero Sauce is easy to make and comes together in less than 20 minutes! It’s healthy, flavorful and perfect for topping all of your homemade Mexican creations!
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa is a 5-minute dip that comes together crazy easy in a blender! A few ingredients and a few minutes are all you need for this stellar Tex-Mex dip.
- Tex-Mex Beef Enchiladas features a foolproof enchilada gravy and a flavorful beef enchilada filling smothered in cheese and baked to perfection!
- Homemade Beef Chimichangas are loaded with a savory ground beef filling and topped with quick and easy stovetop queso! Plus, tips for frying to perfection and more.
An easy, cheesy Tamale Sauce that reigns supreme with its Tex-Mex flare and kick of spice. The perfect consistency for drizzling over tamales and more!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotles in adobo
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
Place a skillet over medium heat, and add the butter. As soon as it has melted, sprinkle over the flour. Whisk until a paste has formed and stir for 1-2 minutes more.
Begin adding the beef broth a splash at a time, whisking well after each addition, until it resembles a pudding-like consistency. Once this consistency has been achieved, begin streaming in the broth, whisking all the while. Allow the mixture to simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Add the adobo sauce, taco seasoning and American cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and remove from the heat.
Top your tamales with the Tex-Mex Tamale Sauce, serve and enjoy.
Recipe makes enough sauce for 12-14 tamales.