Tuna Egg Salad is a classic that never seems to get old, and you're guaranteed to find this retro favorite even more delicious than you remember it. Simple, familiar, yet oh-so-satisfying, this recipe comes fully loaded with tuna, hard-boiled eggs, celery, and dill pickles, all tossed together in a creamy, zingy dressing. It's all the savory goodness you know and love about old-fashioned tuna salad!
After a quick and easy assembly, you can pile it high in between two slices of fluffy white bread, serve it as a hearty snack with crackers, or as a healthy, make-ahead salad topper!
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD WITH EGG
- Prep - Have ready three hard-boiled eggs (see below if further instruction is needed). Finely chop celery, onion, and pickles.
- Make the Dressing - Add the dressing ingredients to a large bowl and whisk it together to combine.
- Mix It Up - Add the tuna, egg, and chopped ingredients and mix until all of the ingredients are well-coated.
Love a good lunch salad? We do too! Try our chicken salad with grapes next!
THE BEST WAY TO COOK HARD-BOILED EGGS
If you are a newbie when it comes to making hard-boiled eggs, don't fret -- it's easy! Here is our foolproof method for perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once the water has reached a boil, remove the pan from the heat, cover with the lid, and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Add ice water to a large bowl, and transfer the eggs to the ice bath. Allow them to sit in the ice bath for another 15 minutes (or until they have cooled).
- To peel the eggs, gently tap each end on the counter, and then applying gentle pressure, roll the eggs on the counter, breaking up the shell on all sides. Under running, cool water, peel the eggs and set them aside on a kitchen towel to dry.
TUNA EGG SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Canned Tuna | Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Onion | Preferably red onion, but if you only white or yellow onion on hand, that is fine too. You could also use chopped shallots!
- Dill Pickles
- Mayonnaise | You can use light mayonnaise to cut back on both the calorie and fat intake!
- Mustard | Dijon or Whole Grain
- Spices | Kosher Salt, Paprika, and Black Pepper
WHAT KIND OF TUNA SHOULD I USE?
The type of tuna you use for making Tuna Egg Salad is completely up to you, and it really depends on the texture you prefer. Solid White Albacore Tuna is more steaky, and the Chunk Light variety is chopped finer and is somewhat soupy in texture.
IS IT HEALTHY?
Is Tuna Egg Salad considered a healthy choice? Mostly. Both eggs and tuna are considered superfoods, chock-full of protein, and B vitamins. Tuna itself is also heavy laden in omega-3 fatty acids. Yes, please.
However, like most tuna salads, this one comes equipped with a mayonnaise-based dressing. And, as we all know, mayonnaise is no superstar when it comes to health food. On the bright side, using light mayonnaise (instead of a full-fat mayo) makes a pretty massive difference in the fat content, and will keep that calorie count way down.
HOW LONG IS TUNA EGG SALAD GOOD FOR?
Tuna salad kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator will last for about 3-4 days after you make it.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT
There are so many ways to serve Tuna Egg Salad! You can serve it as a hearty snack with crackers or tortilla chips, and of course, we all know this recipe makes for one seriously comforting sandwich.
Looking for a healthier fix? Let's review some more serving options:
HEALTHY WAYS TO SERVE TUNA EGG SALAD
- Inside of a tomato! Slice the top off of a tomato and hollow it out. Fill the tomato with the Tuna Egg Salad and sprinkle with salt and pepper!
- Top off an avocado! Slice an avocado in half, remove the seed, and top it with a big scoop of tuna salad.
- Inside of a lettuce wrap.
- Over a bed of spinach or spring mix lettuce.
5 MORE DELI RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Turkey Salad With Cranberries
- Caesar Shrimp Sandwich On Ciabatta Buns
- Bruschetta Chicken Salad With Balsamic Dressing
- The Ultimate Club Sandwich With Turkey and Ham
- Cold Roast Beef Sandwich With Creamy Horseradish Sauce
A quick and easy recipe for Tuna Egg Salad that's just as delicious as you remember it! Perfect for sandwiches, salads, and more. It features tuna, hard-boiled eggs, celery, dill pickles, and a creamy, zingy dressing.
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoon whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- Generous ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (5-ounce) cans water-packed tuna, well-drained
- 3 hard-boiled eggs peeled and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (about 2 stalks) finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (about a ¼ of an onion)
In a large mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, paprika, and pepper and whisk to combine.
Add the tuna, eggs, celery, pickles, and onion to the bowl and stir until all of the ingredients are evenly coated in the sauce and well mixed.
Serve right away or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.