Sweet and refreshing, there’s nothing that beats the summer heat quite like a slice of juicy watermelon…unless you combine it with cucumber, that is. In fact, why not go ahead and make a meal out of it? Watermelon Arugula Salad topped with feta cheese, cucumber, and a quick and easy Serrano-Lime Dressing is the perfect mix of sweet and savory, cool and spicy, and it is without a doubt the ultimate summer salad!
WATERMELON ARUGULA SALAD WITH FETA
- Arugula — Baby arugula is more tender than arugula, and can be found washed, dried and “ready to eat” in the produce section of your grocery store. If you can only find regular arugula, be sure to wash it well, as it has a tendency to hold on to sand and grit.
- Watermelon — If you can find watermelon without the seeds, bonus! This means less work for you. Also, if you’re in a time crunch, remember you can typically buy watermelon already cut up and cubed for you, although you might have to cut a few of those chunks down to bite-sized pieces.
- Cucumber — Cucumber is the perfect addition to Watermelon Arugula Salad, and gives it an extra refreshing vibe. If you can snag an English cucumber, you won’t have to worry about peeling it.
- Feta — Has there ever been a more fitting pairing than salty Feta cheese and juicy, sweet watermelon? We think not.
- Pepitas (i.e. Pumpkin Seeds) — These little pumpkin seeds will add both crunch and a little extra protein to your Watermelon Arugula Salad. Yes, please. They’ll be located either in the bulk section of your grocery store or with other seeds and nuts.
- Dressing — This Serrano-Lime Dressing was especially designed to bring out every bit of flavor Watermelon Arugula Salad has to offer. It’s made up of cilantro, serrano peppers, shallot, honey, lime, and olive oil. You could also use a store-bought Balsamic Vinaigrette for this salad if you’d like.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON ARUGULA SALAD
Make the Dressing — If you are making the recommended Serrano-Lime Dressing for this salad, add all of the ingredients (except for the olive oil) to a blender or a food processor and puree. Then, drizzle in the olive oil with the motor running. Well, that was easy, wasn’t it?
Assemble the Salad — If you thought making that homemade dressing was a cinch, check out how simple it is to make the salad: Toss the salad ingredients together in a bowl and drizzle the dressing on top.
Serve Immediately! — Remember, watermelon and cucumber have a very high water content, so you’ll want to be sure you’re ready to serve before adding them to the salad. The same obviously goes for your dressing!
5 MORE SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Fried Green Tomato Salad features fried green tomatoes, goat cheese, corn, and a zingy roasted red pepper dressing. A fun salad idea perfect for summer entertaining!
- Watermelon, Strawberry & Avocado Salad is a healthy summer salad recipe topped with fresh mint and a sherry-orange vinaigrette.
- Watermelon Salad with Feta features cubed watermelon, arugula, cucumbers and serrano-lime vinaigrette to top it all off! The perfect healthy salad recipe for warm weather!
- The Classic Wedge Salad is a steakhouse favorite, and a seriously easy salad to make at home! Serve it topped with crispy bacon and a homemade chunky blue cheese for your next steak night in!
- Panera’s Fuji Apple Chicken Salad has become a cult classic! It’s a flavorful salad, full of chicken, blue cheese, and dried apples.
A recipe for Watermelon Arugula Salad with feta featuring cubed watermelon, arugula, cucumbers and serrano-lime vinaigrette to top it all off!
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 3 Serrano Peppers seeded and diced
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 cups Baby Arugula washed and dried
- 3 cups Watermelon cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 English Cucumber sliced thin
- 1/3 cup Feta crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Pepitas Pumpkin Seeds
Add all ingredients for the dressing, except for the olive oil, into a blender or a food processor and puree. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Set aside until ready to serve.
Toss together ingredients for the salad, drizzle with Serrano-Lime dressing and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.