Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are super chocolatey and over-the-top marshmallowy with a perfectly stretchy, ooey-gooey, bakery-style bite. Made with Cocoa Krispie Treats, miniature marshmallows, and semi-sweet chocolate chips, this is a dessert no chocolate-loving kid (or adult) could resist.
These delicious treats only take 10 minutes to whip up and require only 6 simple ingredients. Perfect for cooking with kids, snack time, and your new go-to potluck dessert for parties, holidays, and more! If you love marshmallow treats, be sure to add Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats to your baking lineup!
- Cocoa Krispies – Cocoa Krispies are what puts the chocolate in our Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats! Be sure you measure this ingredient out rather than eyeballing it for the perfect gooey marshmallow treat.
- Marshmallows – Buy miniature marshmallows rather than the large, jet-puffed ones. And again, you’ll want to take the time to measure this ingredient. Take note, extra marshmallows will go in at the end for a bakery-style Rice Krispie Treat.
- Butter – Use only unsalted butter for this recipe. Otherwise, your treats might turn out too salty.
- Chocolate Chips – When it comes to baking and dessert recipes, semi-sweet chocolate chips are where it’s at. Semi-sweet chocolate chunks are also perfect for these!
- Vanilla Extract and Salt – Don’t overlook these two simple ingredients. They’ll give your Rice Krispie Treats a major upgrade in flavor.
If you want your Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats to look a little “extra,” melt down half a package of chocolate candy wafers according to the package directions and lightly drizzle the chocolate over the top. We recommend using Ghirardelli Chocolate Melting Wafers for this process.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Prep the Pan – Have ready a greased 9×13″ casserole dish. Greasing the pan is an important step — marshmallows are sticky — so don’t skip it!
- Melt Butter and Marshmallows – Add the butter to a large pot over medium heat and add miniature marshmallows as soon as the butter has melted. Then, stir until both ingredients are melted and combined. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Add Cocoa Krispies – Add the Cocoa Krispies to the pot and stir to combine, then stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of marshmallows, the chocolate chips, and stir to evenly distribute.
- Set In Pan – Transfer the contents of the pot to the prepared casserole dish, and with greased hands, gently press down to smooth over the top. Take care not to press too hard or the marshmallow treats will be tough! Allow to set, about 30-45 minutes.
See the recipe card below for alternative microwave instructions, if desired.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CUT RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
Once the Rice Krispie Treats have cooled, you can cut them using a sharp knife. If you’d like “clean cuts,” you’ll need to clean your blade in between cuts. Cut the treats in the pan by making four even cuts lengthwise and four even cuts crosswise. This will give you a total of sixteen Rice Krispie Treats.
WHY ARE MY RICE KRISPIE TREATS HARD?
If your Rice Krispie Treats are hard, you’ve likely pressed them too hard when situating the mixture in the prepared pan. Use light hands for this process, and stop pressing as soon as the top is level.
HOW DO YOU STORE HOMEMADE RICE KRISPIES?
Store your Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats in an airtight container at room temperature, separated by sheets of wax paper. The snugger, the better.
CAN YOU FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
Rice Krispie Treats will turn stale and lose their freshness after just a few days, but no worries if you’ve got goodies leftover beyond this point — you can freeze them! Place leftover treats in a freezer-safe, snug airtight container, separating the layers with sheets of wax paper. It also doesn’t hurt to place wax paper on the bottom of your storage container — these treats are a little sticky! Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
4 MORE KRISPIE TREATS RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats take the classic rice krispie treat recipe and kick it up with the addition of crushed Oreo cookies plus extra marshmallows. Yes, please!
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats come well equipped with extra marshmallows and a little extra flavor thanks to the addition of salty-sweet peanut butter. They’re soft, gooey, and would rival the quality of any bakery rendition.
- Cocoa Krispie Treats are dressed up for Halloween with candy corn, chocolate chips, and festive sprinkles.
- Valentine Rice Krispie Treats are a simple and easy homemade treat topped with hard, no-mess icing and sprinkles for Valentine’s Day. Perfect for cooking with kids!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are super chocolatey and over-the-top marshmallowy with a perfectly gooey, bakery-style bite!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, separated (just under 2 packages)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies Cereal
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Have ready a greased 9x13" casserole dish.
Add the butter to a large pot over medium heat and melt. As soon as the butter has melted, add 8 cups miniature marshmallows and stir until melted and combined. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
Add the Cocoa Krispies to the pot and stir to combine, then stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of marshmallows, the chocolate chips, and stir to evenly distribute.
Transfer the contents of the pot to the prepared casserole dish, and with greased hands, gently press down to smooth over the top. Do not press hard or the marshmallow treats will be tough.
Allow to set, about 30-45 minutes. Cut into 12-16 squares, serve, and enjoy!
You can also prepare this recipe using the microwave! To do so, eliminate steps 2 and 3.
- Add the butter and 8 cups of marshmallows to your largest microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 45-second intervals, stirring after each stint in the microwave. Should take between 2-3 minutes.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and Kosher salt.
- Add the Rice Krispies to a large mixing bowl, pour over the marshmallow mixture, and stir. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of marshmallows and stir once more. Pick back up to step 4.