Like Olive Garden's Alfredo Sauce? You're in for a treat -- you're going to like this one way more. Homemade Alfredo Sauce is rich, creamy, and lacks nothing in the way of flavor thanks to fresh chopped garlic, a generous serving of Parmesan cheese, and a dairy combo that just won't quit. It has a consistency second to none, and you'll find it never fails to coat those noodles in all the right ways.
Quick, easy to make, and requiring only a handful of ingredients, this Alfredo comes together in just 15 minutes, making it the perfect dinner idea for busy weeknights. Top off your Fettuccini Alfredo with sliced chicken or shrimp, and don't forget the garlic bread!
WHAT IS ALFREDO SAUCE?
Alfredo Sauce is a creamy white sauce of Italian origin with a very pronounced garlic-Parmesan flavor profile. The original Alfredo recipe was the creation of Chef Alfredo di Lelio of Rome circa 1914. Surprisingly, the sauce consisted only of butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano. The addition of cream was an American-made idea, and one we're still proud of today.
ALFREDO SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
For a no-fail Homemade Alfredo Sauce that's thick, creamy, and coats the noodles perfectly, you'll want to begin with a roux. A roux is a simple mixture of butter and flour that comes together on the stovetop.
As mentioned above, garlic and Parmesan are probably the most pronounced flavor profiles in Alfredo Sauce. You will need fresh, chopped garlic and either shredded or grated Parmesan cheese will work.
And, of course, you can't have Alfredo Sauce without the dairy. This is where the cream and the half-and-half come in. Using heavy whipping cream at the beginning of your sauce ensures it stays nice and smooth, preventing any grainy textures from building as it cooks over the heat. Then, to mellow out that richness and promote the ideal consistency, you'll need half-and-half.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE
- Sauté the Garlic - In a large saute pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and add the garlic. Watch your heat and take care not to burn the butter. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle In the Flour - Sprinkle flour over the garlic and stir until coated.
- Add the Dairy and Simmer - Increase the heat to medium and begin to add the cream a splash at a time, stirring after each addition. Be sure you add the cream first. Once all of the cream has been incorporated, stream in all of the half-and-half, whisking all the while. Then, simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Stir in Parmesan - All that's left to complete your Homemade Alfredo Sauce is to stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Serve over the pasta, and top the dish with sliced chicken or shrimp, if desired!
IS ALFREDO SAUCE KETO?
Not all Alfredo Sauces are considered Keto, especially if they begin with a roux. If you're looking for a Keto-friendly Alfredo Sauce, try this one.
CAN YOU FREEZE ALFREDO SAUCE?
Freezing Homemade Alfredo Sauce is not advised, as it mostly consists of dairy and has a high fat content. This means if frozen and later reheated, your sauce will likely separate.
5 MORE PASTA RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Swedish Meatball Sauce is a savory, creamy white sauce that can be whipped up in just 15 minutes and served over homemade or store-bought meatballs. Mix with pasta and enjoy for a quick-fix weeknight dinner!
- Homemade Marinara Sauce is perfect for weeknights and made extra easy with a quick simmer of canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, and more!
- Spaghetti and Meatballs is made with a simple marinara that cooks quickly on the stovetop and the meatballs are baked in the oven! No pan-searing required!
- Chicken Pesto Pasta features tender bites of juicy chicken and a creamy Pesto Sauce that cooks quickly in one pan! Add the penne pasta, fresh grape tomatoes, and shards of Parmesan cheese, toss it all together, and you’ve got your new favorite fix for weeknight Italian fare.
- Shrimp and Pasta is loaded with angel hair pasta, fresh tomatoes, capers, and shrimp, all tossed in a simple white wine butter sauce. Perfect for dinner parties and date night in!
- Shells and Cheese are super cheesy, decadently delicious, and as much of a hit with the adults as it is the kiddos!
A recipe for simple, homemade fettuccini alfredo sauce made with cream and fresh Parmesan.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 1 ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving (if desired)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
In a large saute pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and add garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the garlic and stir until coated. Increase heat to medium and begin to add the cream a splash at a time, stirring after each addition.
Once all of the cream has been incorporated, stream in the half-and-half, whisking all the while, and simmer 6-8 minutes. Stir occasionally until slightly thickened.
Stir in Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Serve over the pasta, and top with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY!
China - Cashew Chicken
Thailand - Thai Chicken Larb Salad
Germany -German Meatballs and Potatoes
Greece - Greek Style Grilled Lamb Chops
Italy - Wild Mushroom Risotto
Korea -Korean Beef Tacos (Bulgogi)
Sweden -Swedish Cucumber Salad
USA - Instant Pot Bourbon BBQ Ribs