An easy vegetable side dish featuring baked sweet potatoes mashed with creamy Mascarpone cheese. The perfect sweet potato side side dish for healthy dinners!
When you are looking for an alternative side dish to old-fashioned mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes just may be the change of pace you’re looking for. They pair perfectly alongside roasted meats, and are divine in the fall and winter months when comfort food cravings begin to take root and branch out through our hearts.
HOW TO COOK A SWEET POTATO
If you have never worked with sweet potatoes before, no need to fear. I’ve found, the best and most flavorful way to cook a sweet potato is to simply roast it. Roasting sweet potatoes enhance their natural and inherent sweetness, and deepens their flavor.
To roast a sweet potato, drizzle with a touch of olive or canola oil and rub it all over to coat. Then, transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet and bake at 425° for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes look slightly “deflated,” and are fork tender. From there, you would allow them to cool slightly, and like magic, the skins will peel right off!
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MASCARPONE CHEESE
For this dish, roasting the potatoes makes your workload far less time consuming. After the potatoes have roasted, you peel the skins right off, and transfer them to a bowl and stir in the Mascarpone cheese. You’ll notice as you stir in the creamy Mascarpone, the potatoes will almost mash them themselves. Side dishes just don’t get much easier than this!
The Mascarpone cheese adds a creamy richness to the mashed sweet potatoes, and lends to them a buttery decadence, without having to enlist the use of any butter at all. Serve this alongside pork or roasted poultry, and some fresh greens for a splendidly well-rounded meal, and please, enjoy.
5 MORE POTATO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole features buttery mashed potatoes with cream cheese, crispy thick-cut, bacon, freshly grated Cheddar, and chopped green onions. The perfect make-ahead side dish casserole!
- The Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe is easier than you think! These classic mashed potatoes are made extra smooth and creamy thanks to a couple of simple ingredients, and the trick to the lightest, fluffiest potatoes ever!
- Garlic-Parmesan Smashed Potatoes feature baby gold potatoes (or red potatoes) smashed and smeared with a garlic-Parmesan butter, then roasted to crispy perfection.
- Twice-Baked Potatoes with Havarti and Dill features a new take on twice-baked potatoes, with big flavor thanks to Havarti and Dill.
- Creamy Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese feature sliced Russet potatoes, Gouda Cheese, and Gruyere Cheese. The perfect addition to any family-style or holiday meal!
Baked sweet potatoes mashed with creamy Mascarpone cheese.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes about 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° Place sweet potatoes on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and rub into skins. Bake for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside and allow to cool for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
Cut a line down the center of the potatoes and turn over into a medium-sized mixing bowl. The flesh of the potatoes should easily fall right into the bowl. Add to the potatoes the Mascarpone, butter, salt, and pepper. Mash together with a potato masher, whisk or fork, and stir to combine. Serve and enjoy.