If you’ve got a hankering for something refreshing…but with booze in it…this is your cocktail, right here. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and sour, without that overwhelming pucker that comes from…well sweet and sour. I have to say it: I just can’t stand the store-bought mixes. They really grind my gears. Plus, it makes my heart feel like its going burst in flames, and I’m pretty sure the amount of acidity that goes into those pre-made mixes could burn through concrete.
For this cocktail, I started with the margarita basics:
Tequila, orange liqueur, and fresh lime, but threw a few curve balls to really set this beauty apart. New additions like the sweet ginger liqueur, coconut water, and sparkling blood orange soda enhance the base of the margarita and make for one smooth sip’n cocktail. Please, enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar if desired
- Zest of a lime if desired
- 1 ounce Tequila
- 1 ounce ginger liqueur such as Canton
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
- 1 ounce coconut water
- Juice of 1 lime plus extra for garnish, if desired
- 2 ounces of Blood Orange Soda such as San Pellegrino's Sparkling Blood Orange Soda (regular orange soda with do, as well)
To make a zesty sugar rim, pour sugar and lime zest onto a plate and mix. Take a lime wedge and run it around the perimeter of the glass. Press the rim of the glass into the sugar and fill with ice. Pour tequila, ginger liqueur, orange liqueur, coconut water and lime juice over iced glass. Stir to combine. Add orange soda, stir once more and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve and enjoy (but like, responsibly).
Would pair well with: