Make the Pomegranate Martini your signature cocktail this season! It's a tart, semi-sweet, smooth-sipping glass of delicious you absolutely can't go wrong with.
The ingredient list is fairly reminiscent of a Cosmopolitan, with a simple mix of vodka and orange liqueur; only this martini houses a fancier feel thanks to exotically delicious pomegranate juice.
Whether you're serving up these beauties at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even New Years' Eve, this simple cocktail is the perfect way to ring in the holiday, especially when it comes equipped with a beautiful, piney-scented rosemary garnish.
In the United States, Pomegranates come into season in September, and if we're lucky, they stick around in the grocery stores through January. This fall fruit carries with it cool weather vibes, and because of this, it is particularly wonderful for holiday gatherings.
The flavor of the pomegranate is mostly tart and somewhat sweet (very similar to a cranberry, but with more of a cherry vibe) and makes for one particularly delicious cocktail base.
POMEGRANATE MARTINI WITH VODKA | INGREDIENTS
- Vodka | If you like a cocktail on the sweeter side, you'll especially enjoy a Pomegranate Martini made with citrus vodka, which comes with a bit more sugar than standard vodka. On the flip side, if you prefer cocktails on the dryer side, go with a good, quality unflavored vodka.
- Orange Liqueur | It's no secret that orange pairs beautifully with the flavor of pomegranate. We used Grand Marnier Orange Liqueur during recipe development, and it makes this drink one seriously smooth sipping cocktail!
- Pomegranate Juice | Pomegranate juice takes up more space in the martini glass than any other ingredient, so make sure you get a brand you enjoy the taste of! Pomegranate juice is typically found alongside refrigerated specialty juice blends.
- Lemon Juice | You'd be surprised at how far one little squeeze of lemon goes in a cocktail. In this Pomegranate Martini, it adds a lovely balance of freshness.
CAN I MAKE IT WITH GIN?
If you are a gin drinker, by all means, feel free to sub it in the place of vodka in this recipe.
Mahon or The Botanist Gin would be perfect in this cocktail, as they are extra herby and ideal for pairing with the flavors of both lemon and pomegranate.
HOW TO MAKE A LARGE BATCH FOR A PARTY
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, orange liqueur, pomegranate juice, and freshly squeezed lemon to the shaker.
- Seak the shaker and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass and enjoy!
HOW TO GARNISH IT
There's more than one way to garnish a martini, but the simplest way is to drop a few pomegranate seeds into the glass and add a sprig of fresh rosemary. The fresh scent of rosemary adds a wonderful aromatics to the cocktail, and its pine-like vibes add some cozy, wintery feels.
If you want a garnish that's extra beautiful, slice up a few lemon wheels. Then, cut the wheel halfway to the center, and pop it on the side of the glass.
Want to get really extra with it? Add a sugar rim. Note, once your Pomegranate Martini goes into the glass, it’s too late to add a sugar rim. Add the sugar rim, then pour the cocktail.
HOW TO ADD A SUGAR RIM TO A MARTINI GLASS
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar onto a small plate.
- Then, take a lemon wedge and run it around the perimeter of the glass.
- Press the rim of the glass into the sugar and slightly wiggle it around until well coated.
OPRAH'S POMEGRANATE MARTINI RECIPE
Years ago, Oprah published a Pomegranate Martini Recipe that brought this cocktail into the limelight. Her rendition is very similar to this one, only it was published as a batch cocktail (meaning it is made for more than one person to drink), and it also features the optional splash of sparkling water.
HOW TO MAKE A PARTY BATCH OF POMEGRANATE MARTINIS
If you're making these festive martinis for a crowd, you'll need to exchange the cocktail shaker for a pitcher. You'll also need to do a little multiplication if you have a specific number of guests in mind, or you could use the below measurements to make a total of eight cocktails:
- 1 cup citrus vodka
- 1 cup orange liqueur
- 2 ⅔ cup pomegranate juice
- Juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons
Add the above ingredients to a pitcher, stir, cover the top of the pitcher with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mix is very chilled. Then, pour single servings into martini glasses and enjoy!
If you wanted to add sparkling water as Oprah does, I suggest serving this in a rocks glass filled with ice. Fill the glass about ⅔'s of the way full with the Pomegranate Martini Mix and then, add a splash of sparkling water (or even champagne) to top it off!
5 MORE COCKTAIL RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
An easy Pomegranate Martini recipe with the perfect mix of ingredients! All you need is vodka, pomegranate juice, orange liqueur and lemon.
- 1 ounce citrus vodka
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- ⅓ cup pomegranate juice
- Squeeze of 1 lemon quarter (about 2 teaspoons)
Add vodka, orange liqueur, pomegranate juice, and the squeeze of a lemon quarter to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Add the lid and shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds.
Strain into a martini glass, serve, and enjoy!